Have you prepped for this

Scenarios, Disaster Planning

Re: Have you prepped for this

Postby BullFrogtango » 19 May 2012 13:56

Did You say 8 Feet Under? Is that the floor or roof? Would like to hear as joe more specific's on construction ;)

Thanks,
Si vis pacem, para bellum
"If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

As Goethe said “None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.”
BullFrogtango

Postby Fridge » 19 May 2012 19:14

Thats from floor to ground level. Container is 6'4 inches. I used this video as a reference. http://youtu.be/A3EAJex1RVo I used a much smaller container.
Fridge

Postby DIM TIM » 27 May 2012 19:56

Cool post. Just confirms what I always suspected about using shipping containers as underground shelters ( a shell inside of a shell ). :)

Had Cresson Kearney's book years ago, but gave it to a good friend of mine. He still has it, because he is a survivalist and a prepper, and knows a good thing when he gets it. I have the PDF, and can still go to the original book any time I need to just because he is that good of a friend (read: like-minded individual ).

"Storm Shelters", are a good thing to have by anyone that preps. ;)
"It has been said that preparedness and being prepared promotes fear. This isn't true.......being UNPREPARED is what promotes fear."
DIM TIM
DIM TIM

Postby ke4sky » 20 Sep 2012 10:38

The Fallout Shelter Managers Course has good information, download it and watch the fallout shelter video here:

http://www.madisoncountyema.com/Fallout.html
73 de KE4SKY
FM09, Berkeley County, WV
Almost Heaven
ke4sky

Postby bbkaren » 20 Sep 2012 19:41

Kearny's writings are a MUST read. I can't repeat that enough! And it's free...
bbkaren
Viking Moderator

Postby kmussack » 08 Mar 2016 08:23

I recognize that this is a necro-post but I believe that Radiological Defense is an important topic that is too seldom discussed and is widely misunderstood. Sadly this misunderstanding combined with the technical nature of this topic leads people to dismiss it as either unimportant or to adopt a “we’re all going to die anyway” attitude.

This happens to be a field in which I have done much effortful study and have received some formal training.

Here’s the skinny in a nutshell:

Ionizing radiation is radiation consisting of particles, X-rays, or gamma rays with sufficient energy to cause ionization in the medium through which it passes. (It knocks off electrons.)

The damage done by ionizing radiation on the human body is proportional to dose.

In any case, it is best to avoid exposure to unnaturally high levels of ionizing radiation.

Those events that may place you at risk of being exposed to ionizing radiation are:

1. Nuclear Weapon Detonation and subsequent fallout
2. Dirty Bomb (RDD) Detonation and subsequent contamination
3. Nuclear Reactor Breach of Containment and subsequent contamination

There are three factors that control the amount/dose of radiation received from a source:
1. Time: Reduce exposure time.
2. Distance: Increase distance from the source. (inverse square law)
3. Shielding: Place mass between you and the source.

To conduct a successful Radiological Defense:
1. Educate yourself in the science associated with Radiological Defense and learn the related tactics, techniques and procedures (TTPs).
2. Procure the minimum necessary radiological monitoring equipment. Practice with this equipment and keep it calibrated.
3. Prepare and maintain a shelter space.
4. Prepare a Radiological Defense plan and share it with your loved ones.

If there is any interest I’d be delighted to share what I know about this subject.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 09 Mar 2016 08:38

As a bare minimum anybody who takes disaster preparedness seriously should add this item to his or her daily carry items;

As you can see in the image, this little gadget is called the NUKALERT. It is a radiation monitor & Alarm. It’s small and easy to carry.
The battery lasts for years and it will alert you with an alarm in the event it detects ionizing radiation.

Based upon the number of chirps it emits you can determine the current radiation dose rate.
This is an amazing device.
My whole family carries them.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby DIM TIM » 01 Mar 2017 22:15

A very valid concern. Of course there is another that EVERYONE should be concerned about.

Whether it is a collapse or a major event (I.E. pandemic, mass die-off, etc,), there is something that the survivors will have to contend with that concerns all nuclear power facilities. There won't be enough or even possibly ANYONE to keep them running. Even if they are put in a safe mode, there will still be a need for someone to monitor them. That may or may not happen, and I'm betting NOT (Murphy's Law).
So now you have all these facilities just waiting to go belly up, and all you have to do is look to JAPAN to see where this is all heading.............. :shock:

Survival will kind of take on a new meaning then, and that is just here in this country. Imagine the same on a global scale, and you get a pretty good picture of what a real TEOTWAWKI event will look like.
"It has been said that preparedness and being prepared promotes fear. This isn't true.......being UNPREPARED is what promotes fear."
DIM TIM
DIM TIM

Previous

Return to Planning Bay