February - no consuming

Gathering place to socialize and discuss things that fit nowhere else.

February - no consuming

Postby Joe » 24 Jan 2011 09:26

Well, no frivolous consuming.

My wife and I decided we would spend NO money on non-esssentials in February

We will pay the mortgage, pay the bills and buy groceries and gas - but that's it.

Might interest some folks to try something similar.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Re: February - no consuming

Postby ke4sky » 24 Jan 2011 09:43

Great idea. I will do likewise.
73 de KE4SKY
FM09, Berkeley County, WV
Almost Heaven
ke4sky

Postby prairies » 24 Jan 2011 11:04

GOOD PLAN. We are usually limiting purchases just due to the increased utilities :o ..... and it is for me a good month vacation form the day job and try to soak as much second job time as I can before busy season hits.

At work I have a lot of projects that are taken care of by varied contractors. Since FEb is usually a hard month for contractors due to weather I try to schedule most of my indoor work at that time to get the best prices.... contractors are usually hungry at that time and willing to shoot good deals on projects and they are appreciative.... come busy season will help you out since you helped them out when things were scarce...
prairies

Postby Morrigan » 24 Jan 2011 11:56

Point is to just see how much we don't spend. Then put that against the mortgage principle.
Morrigan
Viking Moderator

Postby azuris » 24 Jan 2011 15:58

To be honest I have no choice but to follow suite. Winter time is really lean around here.

Az
azuris

Postby Want Off The Grid » 24 Jan 2011 21:13

Well, I can do that from my end... don't don't know what my other half will do.... HINT, HINT!!!!
WOTG! ~
Want Off The Grid

Postby rme49 » 24 Jan 2011 21:19

Good exercise. Trouble is that's not too different from most months around here. (Sigh) :lol: Of course it's always interesting to actually define essentials, especially when something really cool comes along. Or "Honey, you know they might ban hi cap mags, better get more now, it's essential" ;) I can turn all sorts of gear and prepping stuff into essentials. You just never know... :roll:
rme49

Postby Arenzael » 25 Jan 2011 08:40

I once did this before a big move. Once I had executed the move and secured my new revenue stream, I took a breath and looked at what I had accumulated. WHOA, what I had saved killed ALL of my debt (excepting my mortgage).
"For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
-Winston Churchill
Arenzael
Lord of the Wire

Postby Nightmare54 » 30 Jan 2011 11:54

With a new business in it's second year, every year is February to me and the Wife! The last frivolous thing I bought was some new pants for wintertime, and that was in Nov.! I only classify them as frivolous because I work from home and if I warm my car up, I could easily wear my shorts 365!
Nightmare54

Return to Mead Hall