Signaling

Good Gear, Bad Gear, Wanted Gear

Signaling

Postby kmussack » 27 Dec 2016 03:57

Whether you're lost in the woods or stranded on the roof of a shed during a flood your ability to signal your location can mean the difference between life and death.

There is an entire category of gear related to this part of survival. Each device in this category is intended to enhance your ability to be seen or heard.

Why do you suppose light planes, especially those being used as bush planes in wilderness areas are painted bright colors? Hint; it has nothing to do with looking good at their tie-downs. If you auger in your Husky you want the wreckage to be highly visible.

Pictured here are a few items in this category I've accumulated over the years;

On the top is a VS17 panel. This is nothing more sophisticated than a reversible brightly colored cloth intended to be highly visible from a distance (from the air).

On the bottom left is a wicked loud whistle called a "JetScream". This will get someone's attention quite a ways off.

In the middle is an old model ACR/4F strobe light. Although it is from Viet Nam era it still works and produces a bright and sustained white strobe light.

Finally, bottom right is labeled a "Light Spot Signal Generator". (It's a signal mirror for cryin' out loud. ) On one occasion I was able to bring a flight of F4 Phantoms who couldn't seem to see our smoke. It works.

And there are the more sexy items that involve pyrotechnics like signal flares and flare launchers and smoke.
These can be quite effective but can also be hazardous and possession and use may have legal implications. I personally stick with stuff that won't start a forest fire.

Just some food for thought.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: Signaling

Postby whls4legs » 27 Dec 2016 10:13

We rarely stray off the patch, but every day 'pocket carry' here includes a similar whistle, clipped on. Eye murdering orange.

In addition to a radio and phone, of course.

And a compact 9,
a decent folder,
small flashlight,
dab of cord,
Bic lighter,

and......phew!

.....that's just to go do the dogs, chickens, & horse.

Pre-electronic brit and yank coppers depended on whistles to alert citizens and rally help.
whls4legs

Postby Pilgrim52 » 27 Dec 2016 11:03

An excellent post on an important subject. I own several VS-17's which I bought off Ebay and keep one in each of our vehicle survival kits. Their purpose is to make our vehicles more visible if we get stranded on the road or in a ditch and the possibility exists that another vehicle could ram into us. One can't count on the car's emergency flashers being operative after a crash. Every little bit helps. I did make a slight modification to the panel which others might want to emulate. I added ten feet of 550 cord to each corner so that I could tie it tightly to the back (or front as necessary) of our vehicle. The cord that comes with the panel is not long enough for that purpose. In addition, that 40 extra feet of parachute cord could come in very handy in any number of possible scenarios.
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby Nordic Betty » 27 Dec 2016 12:18

For signaling at a car accindent or car motor problem, I use an emergency warning triangle. They're required by law in Europe. They're very effective in signaling that a car is standing still on a road, to avoid a collision from behind.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Emergency-T ... B0039O2JSU

Pilgrim 52, I noticed that your signature included "always carry a knife". That's not allowed in the cities in my country. You may carry a knife if you need it for work or when you're out picking mushrooms or hunting or fishing. But it has a heavy legal penalty if carried without such a purpose. We aren't allowed to carry any weapons, not even pepper spray, except for in single dose containers for joggers or when walking alone late at night. There are very nice legal varieties to prevent rape or attack in the single dose containers that also make a loud noise that won't stop until the battery is dead and contain coloring and/or a smelly substance to ensure that the criminal who tried to assault you is caught. This is of course also a way to signal that you're in trouble.

Reflective clips, vests and similar are great to have if you move about near traffic in the dark, to summon a bus at a bus stop, and to keep in your car in case you need to stop on a high way for a car repair. Visbility is increased over 100 times with relective items.

Whenever going out in a boat it's good to have the marine signals with you. They may be the difference between life and death if your boat hits a a rock while sailing in the ocean archepelagio.
Nordic Betty

Postby Pilgrim52 » 28 Dec 2016 15:42

Hi, Nordic Betty! I haven't had the opportunity to welcome you to the forum so, Welcome! :D

Yes, I also carry reflective triangles but where I live, snowfalls of one or two feet and/or drifting snow can cover ground based triangles or winds can blow them down or away. The V-17 signal panel will be tied across the rear of my vehicle well up off the ground for better visibility. I have considered getting some of these new battery operated emergency LED flashers with magnetic bases that mount on the roof of a car for impressive visibility.

As for the knife signature, that's a quote from the lead character of a popular fictional law enforcement TV drama in the US called NCIS. (Naval Criminal Investigation Service) He's the head of a law enforcement agency and, as part of his style, he has many different rules he quotes at appropriate moments. His Rule #9 is "Always have a knife with you" which I shortened. He quotes that one when one of his agents could have gotten out of some plot difficulty if only they had been carrying a knife. Having lived in Europe for several years, I am somewhat familiar with the strict weapons laws there. It is certainly not my intent to open up a can of worms in this discussion, but myself and many other Americans find it more than strange that so many politicians should believe against all logic and reason that making it safe for armed criminals to commit crimes against legally disarmed victims will somehow prevent crimes. I admit that many Americans also believe this, the majority of whom live in our larger cities. Most of us self reliant types don't understand them, either. Take Chicago, for example. Many years ago, their politicians passed laws disarming all citizens except for police and certain high level politicians. Crime went up. They passed more laws against carrying or even owning guns or knives for self defense. Crime went up again. They passed more laws. Crime went up again. The politicians claimed that the problem was that criminals were going to nearby states with milder weapons laws and bringing weapons back into Chicago. They've never answered the question of why, if being able to obtain weapons is the problem, these states with milder laws don't have anything even close to the crime problems of Chicago. I understand that many Europeans find this situation beyond comprehension. For what it's worth, we Americans find it pretty weird, too, though probably not for the same reasons. It's almost as if disarming victims encourages crime whereas arming victims makes criminals not want to risk being injured or killed. All I know is, the state where I live recently passed a law allowing any citizen without a serious criminal conviction to carry a concealed weapon without having to get government permission beforehand. Since criminals never bothered asking the government for permission to carry a weapon to commit crimes, it pretty much put honest citizens on an equal footing with the criminals who understood the implications of this new situation very well. You loot, we shoot. And our crime rate is lower than a well diggers belt buckle. Instead of doing what criminals wanted which was to make their lives easier and safer, I guess you could say we did exactly what they didn't want which was to make their work more difficult and dangerous. Seems to be working well. I rarely carry a gun, but I ALWAYS have a small pocketknife with me. and a fire kit. And some parachute cord. (Unless I'm on a plane. Can't get around that one.)
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby tatergator » 29 Dec 2016 00:28

@ Pilgrim. You reminded me of the movie Volunteers when you spoke of knives. :lol:

By the way, I dunno if the PMs work here, but I sent you one.
"Behavior is interpreted through personal perspectives." ~ Bobby Hoffman, PhD
tatergator

Postby Nordic Betty » 29 Dec 2016 01:06

Thank you, Pilgrim 52!

We've had incredibly low crime rates, more due to people knowing everone in the neighborhood. Now we have parents walking at night to ensure safety on the streets, neighborhood watch, and similar things. We've grown, added to the population, and now have a few real cities. Earlier our largest cities were like a good sized American town. Easy to catch criminals when you know everybody - more difficult in larger city or an area where many people you don't know by name pass through each day.

Where I'm living now, people go out from their houses if they see a car that they don't recognize, and ask who they are looking for. Usually it's a contractor who has taken a wrong turn on the road and needs directions. But sometimes the car hurries away, possibly it was there looking for something to steal.
Nordic Betty

Postby Joe » 30 Dec 2016 09:08

Where are you sourcing strobe light batteries?
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby Kolt » 30 Dec 2016 10:43

These are the newer era strobes: FRS/MS 2000M DISTRESS LIGHT MARKER

http://www.gr8gear.com/Distress-Signal- ... GaN433uKZY

They take common AA batteries. Lithium are preferred.

I have no idea where to get the older proprietary batteries. Supply couldn't order the NSN any more back when I asked in 2010 or so.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby kmussack » 30 Dec 2016 11:59

Joe wrote:Where are you sourcing strobe light batteries?

WARNING: Short Story Follows

Back in the early 90's I was Director of Engineering for an archery company. (Don't be too impressed. I was THE engineer.)
Our principle investor/majority owner also owned several other companies and among them was ACR, the makers of the strobe light in question.
He was an avid bow hunter and I was personally setting up a new bow for him and he was in the shop "getting fitted" before his big hunt.
I was about to go back on active duty for the last time and mentioned that I had this strobe light but couldn't find batteries.
Poof! I had batteries.

Fast forward to present day. These proprietary batteries are now discontinued. I have two left. (EXP.DATE 7/99)

But.....
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-scr4g.html
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Return to Gear