Yo Yo fishing

Good Gear, Bad Gear, Wanted Gear

Yo Yo fishing

Postby Larry G » 31 Aug 2016 10:10

You old timers likely remember this one. The first video is to give you an idea of what’s possible with a yo yo. The manner in which they can be employed is only limited to your imagination. I looked one up and found it to weigh 1.8oz. The second video is to show a closeup of the yo yo.

There are two designs. One with a square catch and one with a rounded catch. Supposedly, the ones with the square catch are better. These things do work. There are loads of youtube videos.

Yo Yo Fishing Reel In Action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdpC4uOQmaA

YoYo Fishing Reel Review & Fish Catch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuwCJveCk7M

What's wrong with being antisocial when society is a sick SOB? - Me

Words are meaningless, the intent behind them is what counts. – Me
Larry G

Re: Yo Yo fishing

Postby kmussack » 31 Aug 2016 10:49

Wow!!
Thanks for posting that.
Time to go shopping.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Larry G » 31 Aug 2016 11:28

Glad you liked it. That little swivel will snap back and bite if you're not careful. It'll make you look around to see if anyone was watching before you react.

Larry G

Postby kmussack » 31 Aug 2016 12:32

I just ordered a dozen.
In tough times a guy could run a fish trap line with them.
Besides they look like they'd be a hoot to use.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Kolt » 31 Aug 2016 23:33

Check on legalities prior to use in a non-emergency/survival situation.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby Generation 2 » 05 Sep 2016 15:34

I bought a box of these Yo-Yo devices on Amazon. After reviewing my state fishing regulations, it appeared that the use of these are not unlawful, as long as I am immediately present. So, today I set one up and hit the lake to give it a try!

Below are a few pictures of me setting it up!

While enjoying an adult beverage and talking to my wife on the dock, I heard a snap...and this little bugger emerged from the murky depths:

Works like a charm!!
"Food is power! We use it to change behavior. Some may call that bribery. We do not apologize." -- Catherine Bertini, United Nations World Food Program.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."
Generation 2

Postby kmussack » 05 Sep 2016 15:50

Good Job!!
Are you going to have that one mounted?
kmussack

Postby Ekiwinox » 05 Sep 2016 18:39

Your gonna need a smaller pan.
Lodge 3.5 novelty.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby Larry G » 16 Oct 2016 19:45

Glad you like them, Generation 2. They'd be a valuable tool in most any survival situation. A half dozen of them set along the bank of any body of water would greatly improve your chances of providing a meal for the day. I've used them in my pond, but that isn't really fair. In my pond I can't call it fishing, it's more like catching. Lots of fish in other words. Yo-Yo's work. They work well. The posted video of that young man catching a five pounder demonstrates how well. If you watched the video, did you notice how easily the guy handled the fish? That fish was tired. Wore out from fighting the reel. That's another advantage of Yo-Yo fishing.

Larry G

Postby Pilgrim52 » 23 Oct 2016 20:30

I used to keep four or five in my BOB until I discovered SpeedHooks. The savings in weight is considerable at no cost in efficiency. But I'm still a fan of yoyo's. Be warned, however. If you use yoyo's, stay in the immediate area. When I was a teenager, I lost 11 of 12 yoyo's to a thief. I only paid $3.00 for the dozen, but I earned that 3 bucks two cents at a time by finding 150 soda bottles which I turned in for the 2 cent refund. To me, that was a considerable capital investment. In a SHTF scenario where even one fish could stave off starvation for a day, such a loss could be life threatening. So camo your yoyo's, make a mark or sign so you can find them again and keep watch on them.
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Return to Gear