Boots that failee

Good Gear, Bad Gear, Wanted Gear

Boots that failee

Postby Blue Ridge Hillbilly » 12 Mar 2016 20:25

I recently had two pair of high quality boots that failed. I had and expensive pair of Mendl boots and also a pair of Browing boots. I loved both pair of them and enjoyed wearing them. Here is the problem. The soles of the boots started coming loose from the boot. Most of the boots made now have soles that are molded on to the boots. Hardly any of them are sewed on anymore. I will be very careful when I buy boots again.

BR HIllbilly
Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Re: Boots that failee

Postby Blue Ridge Hillbilly » 12 Mar 2016 20:26

That should have read "Boots that Failed"
Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Postby mosby's men » 14 Jul 2016 08:24

i bought a pair of danner gortex boots they were the most expensive boots i ever bought .
climbed about 15 mountains in them , went to rainfest never stopped raining for 4 days my feet were dry the whole time.
lots of campouts ,deer hunting.
they are 10 years old if you average out the price they were pretty cheap boots.

when i get home i scrub them down in the deep sink throw a coat of polish on them and stick them in a plastic bag for the next trip .
2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Postby kmussack » 14 Jul 2016 08:54

Before I enlisted I was married, broke and working three part time jobs. One of them was in a Fishing Tackle/Sporting Goods Store.

I lusted after a pair of green, pebble grain, Herman Survivors that were in stock and in my size. They cost over $100 in 1974 so they were pretty much out of my reach financially. One day the store owner cut me a sweet deal on them and I bought them. (This was before the day of Gortex.)

Two years later I’m an E-3 in Bravo Company 2/327th Infantry. We were in the field constantly and the issue boots were murder on my feet. So one day, feeling froggy, I showed up wearing my Survivors. Top* spotted them and proceeded to chew a piece out of me for wearing “non-uniform/non-issue” boots.

I looked down at his feet and saw his German Jump Boots (Springerstiefel) and looked back at him.

He paused and said, “Well, I guess you can wear them, but only to the field, and dye them black.”

Those Herman Survivors were a wonderful improvement over issue combat boots.

(*I wandered through the regimental web site a while back and that miserable SOB is still alive.)
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Larry G » 06 Aug 2016 20:04

mosby's men wrote:i bought a pair of danner gortex boots they were the most expensive boots i ever bought .
climbed about 15 mountains in them , went to rainfest never stopped raining for 4 days my feet were dry the whole time.
lots of campouts ,deer hunting.
they are 10 years old if you average out the price they were pretty cheap boots.

when i get home i scrub them down in the deep sink throw a coat of polish on them and stick them in a plastic bag for the next trip .

Danner also makes an excellent pair of snake boots. I don't often wear them, but do on occasions when watching for snakes would distract from the task at hand. You would think they'd be uncomfortable as all get out by their appearance. They are shockingly comfortable. Also waterproof.

I like my Danners.
What's wrong with being antisocial when society is a sick SOB? - Me

Words are meaningless, the intent behind them is what counts. – Me
Larry G

Return to Gear