Don't waste your $$$ on this

Good Gear, Bad Gear, Wanted Gear

Don't waste your $$$ on this

Postby Pilgrim52 » 27 Jan 2014 19:00

At a recent gun show, I bought what appeared to be something long needed by the survival/camping community, an inexpensive commercially manufactured stainless steel canteen cup lid. Not plastic, not rubber, but steel. Matte finish and with a firmly attached "D" ring. In my eagerness to obtain this treasure, I neglected to study the entire packaging. On the back, it states " Custom Made to fit Rothco's GI Type Stainless Steel Canteen Cup." Back home, (I only had the British Crusader canteen cup in my car survival kit) I dug out a US GI issue canteen cup from my equipment stash and set the lid on it. And discovered the made-in-china lid was too small. No way would it fit and, because it is too small, there is no way to make it fit. (maybe by filing down the USGI cup rim, but that's not going to happen) I have no doubt it will fit the Rothco brand made-in-china canteen cup, but I would not waste my money on a knockoff when I can easily get the high quality original made-in-USA GI issue cup for a couple of bucks more. To be fair, it does seem to be well made. If you are outfitting a young person on a tight budget, this combination cup and lid might work well for you. But don't shell out your hard earned cash (about $4.00) for one of these lids thinking it will fit your beloved USGI issue canteen cup you brought home from your service days because it will not. No way, no how. Be warned. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Re: Don't waste your $$$ on this

Postby bbkaren » 28 Jan 2014 06:14

Grr, jerks and liars everywhere!! Not applicable to us in particular, but thanks for the heads-up.
bbkaren
Viking Moderator

Postby Joe » 28 Jan 2014 11:33

Bummer
I believe you told me of your idea to have a canteen lid built - some years ago. So I know you were excited...and then let down.

I use heavy aluminum foil.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby Pilgrim52 » 28 Jan 2014 20:27

Actually, I did fabricate a lid using an aluminum pot lid I picked up at the fort thrift store, two for a buck. You may never have seen it. I cut off the rim to make it possible to flatten the center of the lid. Then, I set the cup upside down so the knob hole was more or less centered where I wanted it. Then, I used a thin point marker to trace around the cup rim plus about 3/8 inch to allow for making a turned down rim on the lid. I used a pair of aviation tin snips to cut around the outline. I figured the cup itself would make a good form so I set the flat aluminum sheet on the top of the cup and began to gently hammer around and around the rim. I still must have tried to do too much too fast because I ended up with a slight fold on the reverse curve side but the remainder of the new lid rim fit pretty well the rest of the way around. I finished by using some of the scrap aluminum to cut a rectangle which I bent over a small steel "D" ring and secured to the original knob hole with a stainless steel machine screw and nut. I considered drilling a steam vent hole but decided the fit was loose enough to vent around the rim. I can always drill one later, I thought, but it hasn't proven necessary. In all, I spent about 55 cents and a half hour of my time and it worked out rather well. I will admit that it is warthog ugly but it works perfectly so I don't care. 8-)

I should add that I made another lid the same way only using an aluminum soda can for the raw material. That also worked but was extremely flimsy. It would not stand up to the rough handling of a backpacking trip, for example, and it would be much less trouble to do as Joe suggested and just use aluminum foil.
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Return to Gear