New hobby... Spoon carving!

Good Gear, Bad Gear, Wanted Gear

New hobby... Spoon carving!

Postby Modestia » 18 Jul 2012 19:47

So my wife bought me a hook knife for Father's Day. So far I've made two spoons out of some wood I had lying around and a bowl out of a coconut we bought for our eldest daughter.

Anyone else enjoy carving? (when I have a moment, I'll have to post a couple of pics) :)
"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw..."
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Joffe Numeroff
User avatar
Modestia
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 03 Jan 2009 10:53
Location: Arizona

Re: New hobby... Spoon carving!

Postby Joe » 18 Jul 2012 21:50

I usually make a spoon when I camp - I use the coal burning method.
As a result of my efforts, we have a bunch of very "rugged" spoons in our kitchen
User avatar
Joe
Viking Chieftain
 
Posts: 6269
Joined: 20 Mar 2008 08:34
Location: CONUS - usually

Re: New hobby... Spoon carving!

Postby Low-key » 19 Jul 2012 08:28

Guy of Gisborne: "Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?"
Sheriff of Nottingham: "Because it's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more...."
"We all have it coming kid."
User avatar
Low-key
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: 10 Feb 2009 18:30
Location: S/W Texas, again....but ALWAYS a Virginian!

Re: New hobby... Spoon carving!

Postby Groovy Mike » 19 Jul 2012 08:42

looking forward to pics.
"Turn to me and be saved...for I am God and there is no other." Isaiah 45:22
User avatar
Groovy Mike
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: 07 Jul 2008 12:01

Re: New hobby... Spoon carving!

Postby Littlestepper » 19 Jul 2012 09:07

Joe wrote:I usually make a spoon when I camp - I use the coal burning method.
As a result of my efforts, we have a bunch of very "rugged" spoons in our kitchen


I remember we made the attempt on several campouts in scouts, but I can't remember if we were trying to find a hardwood or a softwood now. I do remember one definitely left a taste in your mouth. Just can't remember which one.

Modestia wrote:So my wife bought me a hook knife for Father's Day. So far I've made two spoons out of some wood I had lying around and a bowl out of a coconut we bought for our eldest daughter.

Anyone else enjoy carving? (when I have a moment, I'll have to post a couple of pics) :)


Do you know which brand. I spied a Mora hook knife on Amazon.
User avatar
Littlestepper
 
Posts: 318
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 06:33
Location: Farm Country; Eastern Kansas

Re: New hobby... Spoon carving!

Postby Modestia » 19 Jul 2012 09:41

Littlestepper wrote:
Joe wrote:I usually make a spoon when I camp - I use the coal burning method.
As a result of my efforts, we have a bunch of very "rugged" spoons in our kitchen


I remember we made the attempt on several campouts in scouts, but I can't remember if we were trying to find a hardwood or a softwood now. I do remember one definitely left a taste in your mouth. Just can't remember which one.

Modestia wrote:So my wife bought me a hook knife for Father's Day. So far I've made two spoons out of some wood I had lying around and a bowl out of a coconut we bought for our eldest daughter.

Anyone else enjoy carving? (when I have a moment, I'll have to post a couple of pics) :)


Do you know which brand. I spied a Mora hook knife on Amazon.


I got the Mora hook knife which is also known as "The Dreaded Mora Spoon Knife"... :)

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64414

I have started reprofiling the grind, and it's better than it was, but it stil doesn't scoop very well... If you have the money, the general consensus seems to be to avoid the Mora, spend the money and buy one from Del Stubbs or Ben Orford.

I'll have to try the coal burning method :). So far I've been finishing them with coconut oil because that's what I have lying around :)
Last edited by Modestia on 19 Jul 2012 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw..."
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Joffe Numeroff
User avatar
Modestia
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 03 Jan 2009 10:53
Location: Arizona

Re: New hobby... Spoon carving!

Postby Modestia » 19 Jul 2012 10:39

Well here they are (sorry for the lack of camera skills) :)

http://s879.photobucket.com/albums/ab36 ... d%20Bowls/
"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw..."
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Joffe Numeroff
User avatar
Modestia
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 03 Jan 2009 10:53
Location: Arizona

Re: New hobby... Spoon carving!

Postby Joe » 19 Jul 2012 11:30

oh yeah - yours are a LOT nicer than mine.
Mine are rugged and functional - pretty they are not.
A new goal to shoot for :)
User avatar
Joe
Viking Chieftain
 
Posts: 6269
Joined: 20 Mar 2008 08:34
Location: CONUS - usually

Re: New hobby... Spoon carving!

Postby Mountainrunner » 19 Jul 2012 17:09

Thoes are great....!!!
How can I let my wife know that I really need another knife?
Semper Fi

Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following me.........

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under.'-Ronald Reagan
User avatar
Mountainrunner
 
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Dec 2008 23:56
Location: Washington State

Re: New hobby... Spoon carving!

Postby Modestia » 19 Jul 2012 18:32

Hehe,

Many, many years ago, I worked with ceramics a lot. I've been surprised how that experiance seems to help me with the shapes. I have a couple more that I'm finishing up and I'll have to post pics when I'm done.

Actually I only use the hook knife for the bowl part of the spoon. All the other carving is done by either a Mora clipper, or a Condor Bushlore I recently picked up (amazon Prime rocks... :) )
"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw..."
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Joffe Numeroff
User avatar
Modestia
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 03 Jan 2009 10:53
Location: Arizona

Next

Return to Gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest