I find the darndest things at the recycling center

Good Gear, Bad Gear, Wanted Gear

I find the darndest things at the recycling center

Postby Pilgrim52 » 12 Jul 2017 21:55

Yesterday, I picked up a very well made, heavy duty net about 4ft by 2 1/2ft with a tight, thick edging all around. It had been mounted on what looked like some kind of swimming pool soccer goal. (I wonder what happened to the other goal?) This was a good pickup for me because I find netting highly useful in the wild places, so much so that I have been known to make my own nets out of parachute cord or whatever cordage I have available. This particular net likely will be used for a suspended food cache, a water carrier (with a plastic bag inside), an elevated gear storage area inside a shelter or to secure gear to a Roycroft packframe. The net holes are about 2x2in which might catch fish bigger than that if stretched across a stream but being only 4ft wide, I would have to construct some kind of weir from rocks or sticks to narrow the channel. With a little work, it could be done. I could even use it for a mosquito net in Minnesota or Alaska. :o :( :shock:

Has anyone else found any free treasures at a recycling center?
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Re: I find the darndest things at the recycling center

Postby Joe » 12 Jul 2017 22:00

No but...
I am planning on going to Bois d'Arc this year....
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby Pilgrim52 » 13 Jul 2017 20:07

Not to get off-topic, but I wouldn't mind going to Bois d'Arc again, myself. I kind of got out of the habit for some reason. Are they still having it?
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby DIM TIM » 29 Jul 2017 21:58

As a matter of fact, I found some great big old stock pots where I recycle my scrap metals. Got them all for the scrap price, which was what I would have paid for just one if I bought it new. I got them for heating water in bulk for purification, washing, etc,. My survival and preparedness eye is always on the watch for stuff when I go there, and I also keep my eye open for useful lengths of pipe for upcoming projects. The occasional tool or household item is always possible, because I've seen all kinds of items being sold as scrap. I never know what I'll see next till I take my next load to recycle.

And even stuff that I find that was headed to the trash or to the recycle yard can sometimes net me some great finds. I've found tools, kerosene heaters, camping gear, carts, bicycles, etc,.I could easily make a list of items that would fill a few notebook pages in a child's school notebook. It still amazes me to this day at the things people will throw away, but it's like a treasure hunt to me when I find a useful survival or preparedness item that would have wound up scrapped, but had found a second life, because I found it and saved it from that fate.
"It has been said that preparedness and being prepared promotes fear. This isn't true.......being UNPREPARED is what promotes fear."
DIM TIM
DIM TIM

Return to Gear