I find the darndest things at the recycling center

Good Gear, Bad Gear, Wanted Gear

I find the darndest things at the recycling center

Postby Pilgrim52 » 12 Jul 2017 21:55

Yesterday, I picked up a very well made, heavy duty net about 4ft by 2 1/2ft with a tight, thick edging all around. It had been mounted on what looked like some kind of swimming pool soccer goal. (I wonder what happened to the other goal?) This was a good pickup for me because I find netting highly useful in the wild places, so much so that I have been known to make my own nets out of parachute cord or whatever cordage I have available. This particular net likely will be used for a suspended food cache, a water carrier (with a plastic bag inside), an elevated gear storage area inside a shelter or to secure gear to a Roycroft packframe. The net holes are about 2x2in which might catch fish bigger than that if stretched across a stream but being only 4ft wide, I would have to construct some kind of weir from rocks or sticks to narrow the channel. With a little work, it could be done. I could even use it for a mosquito net in Minnesota or Alaska. :o :( :shock:

Has anyone else found any free treasures at a recycling center?
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Re: I find the darndest things at the recycling center

Postby Joe » 12 Jul 2017 22:00

No but...
I am planning on going to Bois d'Arc this year....
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Re: I find the darndest things at the recycling center

Postby Pilgrim52 » 13 Jul 2017 20:07

Not to get off-topic, but I wouldn't mind going to Bois d'Arc again, myself. I kind of got out of the habit for some reason. Are they still having it?
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Return to Gear