The Well Designed Saw Horse

Hammers to Chainsaws

The Well Designed Saw Horse

Postby Ekiwinox » 08 May 2017 15:03

A favorite compliment I give is "That's why ... is paid the big bucks." In this case the ... is PastorDowell with a snappy quick, informative youtube titled, "How to build saw horses".

Two of these and a board with a cloth thrown over it can be tables for a wedding reception or packaging game or have many other uses. Sometimes you need a lot of inexpensive, sturdy tables.

Some great comments were:

ZIP COOPAR: I put plywood on the bottom. I don't have to reach for the saw. Mine would stack. One open, one with plywood.

justaman6972: if you look at your fingernail bed and find white flecks and specks then you have arsenic exposure. Bad juju...wear a dust mask when cutting pressure treated products, or any wood really.Celulosis is a nasty respiratory affliction from breathing sawdust. Take the requisite precautions fellas. Hearing breathing and eye protection, guard your temple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vBFOM2-E40
Ekiwinox

Re: The Well Designed Saw Horse

Postby Rich » 08 Jun 2017 16:19

Pretty sure there is no arsenic in the new Pressure Treated (PT) lumber. The newer PT doesn't last as long as a result, too.

I waited years before buying a stand for my miter saw. Stupid in that I spent many, many hours on my knees cutting boards. I also now have an outfeed stand (coming off of table saw) to catch the wood when my children aren't there to help. Amazing how important the little 'labor-savers' become as you get older. Too, I think that the tools help you with safety as I always tried to make do before.
Rich

Postby whls4legs » 11 Jul 2017 08:34

I've had a saw stand and roller stands for helpers for a long time. Harbor Freight, but I just love 'em. As well as my very cool HF 12" compound sliding miter saw. Don't know how I lived without it. Reduced table saw use tremendously. The guy that works for me still puts the old Delta saw on the floor. Go figure.

Everyone 'lifts their leg' on HF tools. I have 2 metal cutoff saws, used regularly, 15 years, replaced the brushes a couple times. Still strong. Recently replaced some cordless drills and impact drivers with HF 18v. Also have some Dewalt and Bosch 18v stuff and the HF seems about as stout. Can't justify the high speed, low drag, 20v mucho $ tools.

I too have table extenders on the table saw. Safety, safety, safety.

I do everything from the seated position, so the table saw is an 'up close and personal' experience. Took the kickback safety off the saw and within a day or so it picked up a 6"chunk of fresh 2x4 treated, (dense), wizzed it by my head, hit and damaged an overhead door, then flew 60' and hit the opposite wall. A lesson fortunately not learned in blood. Just an underwear change.

We were doing some pretty intense construction about 17 yrs ago, using lots of treated wood and I was the cut man, (I'm always the cut man, wood, tile, metal, I get stuck with it). The wood was still wet with whatever crap they used to treat it with then. After a bunch of cuts, my right side face was wet with the same goop. Shortly after, numb to touch, and some deep pain. Nasty stuff. Persisted for a couple weeks. (Yes, I wore eye protection, should have worn a mask or respirator.)

"Does your face hurt?"
"Nope"
"Well, it's killin' me."
whls4legs

Postby DIM TIM » 09 Sep 2017 20:25

I've seen some good ones over the years, and some of the really bad ones as well. I have both wood and the plastic ones and both work well for what they are intended. Sometimes I find them while I'm out collecting scrap metal from the trash piles people put out around here each week. As a matter of fact, I just found a pair of wooden ones last week while I was out. My dad uses a pair and a couple boards as a make-shift work bench outside of his one garage to do different jobs on nice days.
I'd never really considered doing this myself, but am getting ready to set up at least one outside of my workshop to do the same on nice days.

I also have a couple saw tables that people were throwing away as well. I've set at least one up with a top, and I went so far as setting it on a plywood base so that I can put a set of casters on the bottom to make it mobile. I'll be doing the same to the other soon, and setting them up to place stationary power tools on. One of these will become a mobile grinding and buffing station. Got the idea from a friend's dad that has a stationary set-up in his garage that has half a dozen different grinding wheels, buffing wheels, and wire wheels set up in a single station to cover all these types of jobs.
Although I don't have a real out-feed table for real long pieces of wood that I have to cut, I still have a number of sawhorses that I can put a piece of plywood onto to do the same thing.

And tables......I've used them and a few sheets of plywood to create tables for a number of different things. Chief among them was tables for a yard sale. Yep, no matter how you look at them, sawhorses are a multi-tool that is a wonderful thing to have for homeowners, trades people, and anyone that has a need for a table or a stable work space.
"It has been said that preparedness and being prepared promotes fear. This isn't true.......being UNPREPARED is what promotes fear."
DIM TIM
DIM TIM

Return to Tools