Kitchen Cutlery, Sharp Enough?

Hammers to Chainsaws

Kitchen Cutlery, Sharp Enough?

Postby kmussack » 23 Dec 2016 05:14

I enjoy watching the videos produced by PJF and published on the Viking Preparedness Youtube Channel.

I'm always excited to find a new video to watch. So I immediately clicked on A Quick and Simple Country Breakfast published on December 22nd.

While watching PJF slice some steak for the breakfast I heard myself saying, "Sharpen your knife Pastor Joe."

But before "casting the first stone" on this subject I figured I'd better do a "hypocrisy check". Sure enough our kitchen cutlery was found to be wanting. So I thought I'd show everyone how we do it here.

Because time is our most limited resource I go for the "quick and dirty" method of kitchen knife sharpening. I use a Worksharp Original powered knife sharpener.

The Worksharp is a mini-belt sander intended for sharpening cutlery of all sorts. I have three grades of abrasive belts; Green- extra course, Red-Medium and Purple-Fine.

It incorporates a guide to help maintain proper edge geometry.

The sharpening process is as simple as it gets. Draw the knife through one side then the other until the edge is sharp. Usually two to three passes will suffice.

Then I give it a couple of licks on the steel .

And it's ready to return to duty in the kitchen.

Of course we're equipped and skilled at sharpening manually and when I've got the time and inclination I'll use the stones and steel but for day to day stuff I go for the Worksharp.

So now that all of our kitchen cutlery is at razor like sharpness I can say, "Hey Joe, sharpen your cook knife."
Last edited by kmussack on 27 Jul 2017 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: Kitchen Cutlery, Sharp Enough?

Postby Joe » 23 Dec 2016 15:16

Yeah, yeah.....
Our good knives are at Shofar Mountain as are the main sharpening systems.
I hear ya.

However, the knife WAS "sharp enough" and the steak was delicious with the eggs.
:)
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby Blue Ridge Hillbilly » 23 Dec 2016 21:08

Great Pictures. I don't use a mechanical sharpener but I like to keep my kitchen knives sharp. I always tell my wife that " your sharpest knive will always cut you the quickest" so she has to be careful. One suggestion to people who have wooden handle knives and wash them in a dishwasher, when they dry, take some cooking oil and rub on the handles letting it soak in. That will preserve your handles if you do that ever so often. I have four Old Hickory carbon steel knives and they do a good job. They sharpen well and have a lot of "backbone". They will discolor easy but you can take one of those green pot scouring pads and polish those blades up like new money. I see you have a Rada paring knive. That is a great knife also.
Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Postby sinjar » 24 Dec 2016 13:37

I hand sharpen our knives, a buddy taught me years back how to do it properly and it's one of my favorite past times. My preferred method is a strop block and rubbing compound. Usually it takes about 10 strokes per side of the blade on each side of the strop and the edge is as clean as polished glass and criminally sharp. If I have abused the knife or its new I put a fresh edge on with my lansky kit then finish with the strop block.

And I concur about old hickory brand knives (in carbon steel) they are a great mix of price and quality. They are what I use to process deer, hogs and chickens.
sinjar

Postby tatergator » 24 Dec 2016 17:50

I've used my $10 Wal Mart knife set for over 10 years. Never had any issues cutting steaks, veggies or fruit with them. They are all serrated and required no sharpening. The only time I bought a butcher's knife with a smooth edge, was for roll-cutting thin brass tubing for making ornithopter hinges. No need to be re-sharpened, since it's just the edge and weight doing the job of scoring the brass until you can break it off. :)
"Behavior is interpreted through personal perspectives." ~ Bobby Hoffman, PhD
tatergator

Return to Tools