Microscope?

Hammers to Chainsaws

Microscope?

Postby kmussack » 23 Jul 2016 03:26

I just got the DSLR camera adaptor for my microscope and am learning to use it.

I learned immediately that illumination that is adequate for visual examination is not adequate for photography. So I'm going to have to invest in some better light.

It all started out when I wanted to be able to positively identify insect pests found in the greenhouse. I got a small inexpensive digital microscope that allowed me to capture images of the little beasties. But that just wasn't good enough. Living up to my credo, "Anything worth doing is worth over doing." I now find myself the proud owner of a laboratory grade binocular microscope.

Frankly it opens a whole new world to explore and I'm having a ball with it.
Last edited by kmussack on 09 Dec 2016 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: Microscope?

Postby Ekiwinox » 23 Jul 2016 21:59

15 people have read this and no comments? You are probably microscoping everything you can get your hands on.

Some things to try:

Chalk
Salt
Orange Juice
Fresh squeezed Vs ...
Snow by Tuesday
Insects
Sea Water
Pond Water
The Water you are growing plants in
The roots of the plants
Fly Ash Not sure you actually have a source of that.
Maybe not your fingerprint because then we will all be able to open up your electronic toys.
Shark skin vs what Olympic Swimmers wear
Banana
Velcro
Blood cells
Used dental floss
TP not used
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 24 Jul 2016 05:39

My microscope is not a "Compound" microscope capable of viewing individual cells at high magnification (2000X).

It is a "Stereoscope" that provides a three dimensional view of larger specimens. It doesn't allow you to see individual cells because of its low magnification (45X).
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 24 Jul 2016 05:46

So don't I find this for sale used for the paltry sum of $8,500;

It's a sweet Philips CM10 Transmission Electron Microscope with 10 Meg CMOS Camera.

Magnification: 500,000X (weight: 3,000 pounds)

Now this, my friends, is a microscope!!
kmussack

Postby Kolt » 24 Jul 2016 09:34

Even with 45X, it has many various medical uses.....especially with the camera setup.

Try zooming in on a drop of blood. You'll be surprised. Check out urine. Saliva. Even a stool sample. All of these fluids are useful in performing medical analysis.

Now, you have a force multiplier with the camera adapter. You can't get your patient to a doc...or the doc can't get to you. Right now, you have the option of emailing the photo of the blood (or other bodily fluid as the case may be) to the doc for 'professional' analysis. Even if the grid goes down, I know you are into commo, hopefully you know how to send email strictly using HF without the internet.

That's right folks, if you are reading this, you can send email over radio waves without the internet. Ii think this will be really useful if the net ever goes down...or worse.

Anyway, having the capability to take photos of various injuries..in your case, down to the microscopic level can be very useful. Also having the capability to communicate these images for a second opinion to someone more knowledgeable than yourself, maybe 1000s of miles away is also useful.

Great post.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby kmussack » 24 Jul 2016 09:49

I live approximately 6-miles from the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station.
http://nysaes.cals.cornell.edu/
I've already established a contact on the "inside".
I e-mailed some early photographs using my USB microscope and the folks there were tickled to identify the pests and offer advice.
I'm looking forward to sending them some high resolution pictures from my new rig.
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 17 Jan 2017 03:49

I've got so much to learn about so many things.

I'm still messing with the microscope and am learning how to use my DSLR with it. It ain't easy.

As magnification increases the depth of field becomes more and more shallow. The actuation of the shutter can actually cause the focus to be lost, etc.

I've been practicing using this specimen; Boxelder bug, Boisea trivittata
kmussack

Return to Tools