plastic sucks ..

Hammers to Chainsaws

plastic sucks ..

Postby mosby's men » 25 Jun 2016 13:05

when i was a kid every house had the board with the baby food jar tops nailed to it and the jars filled with screws , bolts and washers... ect .
the first problem was they were small the second was they broke alot .
i wanted one for my shop but i wanted large bottles so i started looking around plastic apple sauce jars seemed perfect rinsed them out started filling them.
went out to the shed a few weeks later they all had holes chewed in them , i am surrounded by farm land so i have a never ending battle with rodents .

ok so now im using salsa jars for bolts reminds me need more salsa .
the other day i go out there and grab the box that has the epoxy resin in it the shelf is all wet
holes chewed in the plastic bottles that stuff is not cheap .

today i go get some oil for the mower all the oil stuff is stored in a plastic bin . the
oil bottle is dripping with oil 3 containers have holes chewed in them ..

ok the war is on .
i wish i knew someone with some large flat rocks so i could make some piaute deadfalls..
walking back to the house i notice all those pretty 16"x16" pavers
now to get some sticks and start whittling .
2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Re: plastic sucks ..

Postby Ekiwinox » 25 Jun 2016 19:47

Ok. How do we score this. Do we start out at 0-0 or are the rodents at a three point advantage. 0-3? Maybe mention the type of rodent. Remember the "we're gonna need a bigger boat"? Maybe your gonna need a bigger rock.

If it is squirrels next time don't label any jars "Nuts". If it is mice the climb up a stick to a barrel filled with water and a can that spins them off is a high volume catcher. But I imagine you are familiar with that method. Great dead fall practice. A nice satisfaction when you win due to skill.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby Joe » 13 Jul 2016 21:47

First off, good post. Sorry I missed it. The prob is not plastic - it is rodents. My water truck no longer runs - wires, teeth...

Second of course we all remember "we're gonna need a bigger boat". Check this out and get familiar with the Mandela effect: https://m.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/co ... gger_boat/
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby kmussack » 14 Jul 2016 03:16

Our property is infested with Meadow Voles(Microtus pennsylvanicus). These small rodents, relatives of the mouse, are a real pest. They get into everything. They lay waste to our beets and carrots and other root crops. They chew and nest and destroy things.

We've got a 12' x 12' steel building down back just inside the wood line. This building is crawling with these little barbarians.
(You can't see it here because of the expert camouflage paint job.)

I've used poison and traps and mothballs. These creatures just keep coming. Their numbers and ability to reproduce overwhelm most efforts to control them. They can infiltrate a building through the tiniest breach.

I see them in our yard every time I mow. Our dog Virgil enjoys playing with them and then eats them whole (Vole Tar -Tar), this doesn't seem to affect their population at all.

I'm sure that a couple Barn Cats would help suppress the population but I simply cannot abide cats.

I'm open to suggestions.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Ekiwinox » 15 Jul 2016 05:19

I would expect nature would soon self correct with this multitude of tasty little morsels. We need to design something that can crawl through those same little breaches and vanquish voles. A Vole Vanquisher.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby Java MS » 19 Jul 2016 21:02

Two ideas to consider. 1) Castor plants are deadly to these animals. Plant castor beans in the mounds. 2) Get a dachshund. They love to hunt the critters.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Java MS

Not an answer

Postby Larry G » 08 Aug 2016 15:44

I don't have an answer for you on the voles, but do have some experience with them. Perhaps that experience will help you find a solution, perhaps not.

A young couple did one of those rent to own contracts on a house with seven acres just two tenths of a mile from me. They didn't have a tractor so I offered to bush hog their field. Their field had a fair amount of weed, but was pretty compared to mine. Every time I cut theirs I was shocked at the quantity of voles on that land. The little vermin were everywhere. I cut their field several times for two years and it was always the same. Vole City.

I have approximately 12 acres of field divided into two areas. There's plenty of water and food available for them. I only see two or three when I mow. Sometimes not even that many. I always have a barn cat or two, but they wouldn't be able to handle a problem like my neighbor has. A barn cat would likely pack his bags and leave that place. So what's the reason for the difference?

I don't have an answer. Maybe my situation will help you look in different areas for a solution. Here goes. My first field begins about 100ft behind the house. There's a fairly deep cut (ditch) that shallows out to a point where I can drive across it. That cut area is home to at least one very large black snake. There may be two or three. I have a decent population of black snakes and I'm careful not to hurt or disturb them. The cut feeds into an intermittent stream about 180ft to the side of the house. I see the occasional weasel there. I have a fair population of some rather large raccoons and a smallish community of possums. Red tail hawks and owls are somewhat numerous. Coyotes occasionally cross the field at 175 yards from the house. I'm sure they visit the back field often.

Having said all of that, we're only talking two tenths of a mile from here and one would think these predators would find Vole City attractive. So what's different? Snakes? Could be, but I'm not really sure. Something attracts them to my neighbors land and for some reason they don't like mine.

After posting the above I let my mind wander back to the times I mowed their field. I don't remember seeing a single snake. Could be poor memory, then again . . .
Last edited by Larry G on 21 Aug 2016 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
What's wrong with being antisocial when society is a sick SOB? - Me

Words are meaningless, the intent behind them is what counts. – Me
Larry G

Postby kmussack » 08 Aug 2016 23:56

We have some snakes here but none of them are large enough to be a "VOLE EATER".
Most are common Garter Snakes content to prey upon smaller creatures.

We've got skunks, opossums, coons, and one particularly nasty pine martin. (killer of all of the neighbors birds)

I'm reasonably sure that one or more barn cats would put a "hurtin'" on these little monsters but as I said before, "I can't abide a cat."
A couple years ago I ran a bucket trap in the shed and caught scores of these vermin. Maybe I'll start that up again.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Larry G » 09 Aug 2016 10:36

After thinking about it a bit more, I've halfway convinced myself the reason I don't have a serious vole problem is snakes. In addition to the large black snakes I talked about earlier, I also have 5 to 6ft grey rat snakes. I didn't think of them earlier for considering them as chicken snakes. I had to relocate two last year. The darn things were full of my eggs. I also have some two and three footers here and there. Even they would be able to eat a vole.

Since you don't have large snakes, your bucket trap may be your best solution.
What's wrong with being antisocial when society is a sick SOB? - Me

Words are meaningless, the intent behind them is what counts. – Me
Larry G

Postby whls4legs » 23 Aug 2016 13:49

You are absolutely on point about the snakes. We are in Southern Mo. Many varieties of large snakes. Black snakes being most plentiful. We see one guy a few times a year who had a bit of bad luck. Tail incident. We call him 'stubby'. Like you, we tolerate a few cats and leave our snakes to do their job.
whls4legs

Next

Return to Tools