Redoing the wood stove vent pipe

Hammers to Chainsaws

Redoing the wood stove vent pipe

Postby Rich » 16 Jan 2015 20:38

So I went through this last year and replaced a lot of the rusted vent pipe with new sheet metal parts from the local hardware store. This kept the stove going another year. Well this year all of the stuff I didn't replace last year is starting to fail... and now I want to put in heavier duty stuff. I'm thinking 6" cast iron pipe or steel pipe. Any thoughts on how I can do this? I still need to keep the new sheet metal stuff as that allows me to do a cleanout before it enters the clay chimney. This is for the straight 3' metal coming immediately out of the stove.
Rich

Re: Redoing the wood stove vent pipe

Postby WagionAK » 22 Jan 2015 06:11

Double walled stainless steel metalbestous pipe? Expensive as hell new but at least around here can always find used. Or stainless single wall pipe. Do you have water running down the pipe from outside? Are you running stove to hot? Figure out what is causing the rust. Wood stove pipe usually last years.
WagionAK

Postby Rich » 25 Jan 2015 03:41

This pipe was there when we bought the place and it is for a wood stove in my shop hence I don't want anything too expensive. Not sure of the rust but it is in bad shape and I hate to use sheet metal again...

Thanks for the response but why won't single wall steel pipe work?
Rich

Postby WagionAK » 26 Jan 2015 02:23

Oh single wall will work fine I was just giving you the best option for rust. Buy the heaver gauge single wall black pipe (22 gauge)
WagionAK

Postby cactus_jack » 16 Feb 2015 22:12

There was a fella I knew decades back that had a cabin on top of Grand Mesa (in Western Colorado) and he used copper pipe. It was expensive even back then, but it worked great and was not hard to clean. Because I was a little kid, I don't recall how the pipe was made. It was about 6" diameter or so.
The present moment is all you can control, not what happened in the past. Although you cannot turn back the clock on setbacks, mistakes and disappointments, your past does not have to define you.
cactus_jack

Postby ICLand » 15 Apr 2015 00:58

My plan is to go to a scrap steel supplier and get scrap segments and weld them together. I plan to do the whole stove pipe/ chimney in it. Since it is scrap it is sold by weight which is so much cheaper than purchasing new.
ICLand

Postby Rich » 12 Aug 2016 17:51

It was expensive but I ordered some structural steel pipe that fit. Had to grind it a bit to get it to fit. I wish I had welded a nice elbow on top but now I can disassemble to clean.

It has worked awesome this last winter. Love the fact that it will never corrode during my lifetime. I did add some paint on the outside.
Rich

Return to Tools