Perhaps Assets is in the topic of Tools?

Hammers to Chainsaws

Postby Ekiwinox » 10 Jun 2017 14:42

Junk silver and gold.

Note freshly purchased jewelry looses more value immediately than a new vehicle just driven off of the lot. Diamonds included.

Weight value for silver or gold and the gems included with it may be about what you will get.

My thoughts is that certain forms of held silver and gold may be outlawed but jewelry will be OK to have. What better to hold than junk silver and gold jewelry? Maybe bring it to a nice clean friendly upstanding pawn shop to have weighed. Put each item into it's own private tiny Ziploc 1 by 2 inch etc. baggie from the Walmart craft section. In permanent marker write the weight of the item onto the baggie including the form of measurement it was measured in. Talk a lot with the pawn shop guy. Maybe talk a lot with tons of pawn shop guys. Look around the pawn shop. This may be the future. I had never been in a pawn shop before. I had some time I was stuck in an area. There was a pawn shop. I was interested in junk silver coins. Ask to be put on their call list. I did not. I'm not sure of a direction yet. Reason. Partial silver coins are damn heavy. Chinese make copy cats of everything even silver items. Or silver plate them. I have zero idea of where to secure assets. Education in Math Science and Technology. Family gatherings where bonding occurs. Land somewhere with a logical house on it. Confused. Not into digital stocks. Not into stocks. I'd rather loose money than have imaginary money on paper. The concept of really, really, really conservative with money is way past any financial adviser. Their most conservative suggestion is probably tons past my ideas of secure. I used to want at t bill at age 14. Now I think that is crazy. Education. Training. Bonding. Location. Location. Location. Handicap accessible. Water. Neighbors of like mind. These are my values. These are where I want to invest. Good sleep. Healthy food. And a warm water therapy pool for health. These financial advisers are not going to be on the same wavelength as me as to where to best use any funds to the best advantage of the family to increase wealth but tons more importantly health and safety which is more the primary interest.
Ekiwinox

Re: Perhaps Assets is in the topic of Tools?

Postby whls4legs » 11 Jul 2017 11:00

This sub gets thrashed about quite a bit. Where to put wealth.

Well, wealth on paper, binary 1s and 0s, is obviously vulnerable. In the blink of an eye, it can dissappear.

Real property, land, decent home, the stuff needed to move forward in the event of an event, should all be secured. Really soon. That should eat a big hole in anyones wealth if starting from scratch right now. It's a tall order that has taken many of us decades or more to achieve, (somewhat, it's always a work in progress).

Once you have aquired the necessities, water, shelter, food, fire, for the long-term, and know what you are doing, and there is still money to spend, it becomes a more personal thing. Should I keep some cash on hand? Maybe. There may be a small window where you would be able to use it. Jewelry and high-end PMs, dunno. Small denominations of 'junk' silver from reputable sellers, maybe.

A lot of views where 'post event' economies are concerned. Some would never trade food for gold. Me neither. But how do you manage the distribution of an eventual surplus, or compensation for a skill. Eventually we'll have to move beyond bartering. A currency of some sort will become a necessity.

Gold, silver, jewels, have been the global hard currency for a few thousand years, and will, in the vacuum of no option and the passage of time, once again become relevant. We likely won't be around for that. And that's another consideration. Age. And are you building for the next gen, or are you the end of the line? All factors for consideration. The age old bumper sticker on RVs, "We're spending our children's inheritance", or something to that effect.

So much depends on the severity and nature of a life altering event. So just plan to survive. A great deal of weath is just going to dissappear, become inaccessible, or become worthless. Like that fleet of 4 wheelers put away. "Oh, they need gas?" No matter what you do, we're all gonna get a bite of that stinky sandwich.

Hard to make the informed decision when there's no information yet.

When do you have enough wealth? At what point do you shift gears and dig in? Getting close.
whls4legs

Postby kmussack » 11 Jul 2017 12:25

In uncertain times it's wise to set aside some precious metals.

Those PMs I've focused on are predominantly lead and brass.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Ekiwinox » 11 Jul 2017 16:23

whls4legs I enjoyed your post. Some sentences were soooo good.

"This sub gets thrashed about quite a bit. Where to put wealth."

Some how I have missed these. Pretty much I only read here. As it is the best place for time saving post reading. This topic is not a hot one here. Maybe it will be.

"And that's another consideration. Age. And are you building for the next gen, or are you the end of the line? All factors for consideration. The age old bumper sticker on RVs, "We're spending our children's inheritance", or something to that effect. So much depends on the severity and nature of a life altering event. So just plan to survive. A great deal of wealth is just going to disappear, become inaccessible, or become worthless." I agree. Trying to avoid this.

"So just plan to survive. A great deal of wealth is just going to disappear, become inaccessible, or become worthless."

"No matter what you do, we're all gonna get a bite of that stinky sandwich."

These two sentences should probably be our credo.

I hope to do a post on "dither fish" today.
Ekiwinox

Postby Joe » 12 Jul 2017 21:58

Land. Generally speaking, they are not making any more of it.
Land set up to homestead
With family and friends - more housing
Land with security considerations taken

This is where the money should go
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby whls4legs » 13 Jul 2017 09:33

Joe wrote:Land. Generally speaking, they are not making any more of it.
Land set up to homestead
With family and friends - more housing
Land with security considerations taken

This is where the money should go

That's the way we went. Spread out, build up.
Ekis question seemed more materially oriented.
Should I amass portable wealth.
Attempted to point out you can't take it all with you.

Even if your not going just yet.
whls4legs

Postby DIM TIM » 09 Sep 2017 19:04

Great posts guys. Yeah, some wealth is material. Some like knowledge is not. And yes, you can't take it with you, but you can pass it on. All the physical goods that I have amassed over the years will go to my son. And, my Binders-O-Knowledge and library will fill some of the remaining gaps of his LIFE EDUCATION. And when the time comes it will go to my grandkids.
As far as material wealth in the form of money and jewelry, even I have a little bit of these squirreled away. As long as people recognize these items as worth something, then we will be able to barter and trade these for THINGS. So then there there is the subject of barter goods as an asset for a way to amass wealth. This is also a good way to build wealth when one is looking to a possible dark future. The thing with this is that you need a secure place to store these items, and that is not always so easy.
Land is a great asset, but there are a lot of things to consider when preparing to purchase it. Chief among these is how to pay for it, and how to pay the taxes to keep it.

All in all, it's a lot to consider and think about. And as pastor Joe will tell you the most important asset is not the wealth that you lay up and store here on Earth, but the ones that you set aside and lay away in our heavenly home when the time comes that we are called home. But as long as we are here on Earth, there is no reason why we can't amass a great number of assets and build wealth. But, we must be wise with these gifts, and generous with our giving to others in real need as we go through this life. We must not squander our gifts, but we can't afford to be misers with them either. Even the richest people in the world know that to be generous with their money is a good thing. This is why there are tax write offs for charitable contributions. It gives them an incentive to spread their wealth and to make more in the long run with these tools.

There are a lot of different assets, and just as many ways to accumulate these assets. As I said before we must be wise with these gifts and consider much when we try to get them and when we have them and possess them. But yes, in the long run nothing is forever in this world. However, while we are here we can still accumulate assets to make our lives her a little better and comfortable. And if things go South and we ever face a meltdown of our society, then hopefully we as preppers and survivalists will come out on the other side whole and in better shape than if we had not tried to prepare for the bad things that sometimes get sent our way

Just remember that this is all a test to see what we are really made of.
"It has been said that preparedness and being prepared promotes fear. This isn't true.......being UNPREPARED is what promotes fear."
DIM TIM
DIM TIM

Return to Tools