"Homestead Tractor"

Hammers to Chainsaws

"Homestead Tractor"

Postby Rich » 31 May 2015 14:09

I had an old tractor that I couldn't get to run so I bought a 20 year old used Kubota this past fall. I've spent more hours wrenching on it than running it but it has been awesome. Parts are easy to find and they are well built and reliable. Also, everyone knows about them so repairs are very easy to "youtube".

Also, I didn't know much about hitches, attachments, etc but you learn fast after buying one.

I would recommend 4wd and don't buy one without a Front End Loader. I didn't think I would need one but that is what I use the most. Saves you so much time by being able to move stuff quickly and easily. Used mine yesterday to push over some stumps and move fallen trees around.
Rich

Re: "Homestead Tractor"

Postby sinjar » 31 May 2015 16:40

I'm glad your Kubota is treating you so well. I want one (for the 4x4 you mention, our winters can be rough. ...so is mud season). My old 53 ford is 2 wheel drive....

I couldn't agree more about the front end loader. It's an amazing labor saver. I won't own a Tractor without a loader....ever!

It's a steep learning curve with the implements but once you get the knack they rock. I've used my plow and disc like crazy this year.
sinjar

Postby Blue Ridge Hillbilly » 20 Feb 2016 20:43

My homestead tractor is a Ford 1320 4X4. I need a new set of Rubber for my tractor but that little 20 hp tractor can pull a 60 inch roto-tiller off the power take-off and it will tear the ground. During winter I leave my scrap blade on for clearing snow and keeping my driveway smooth. I do not know what I would do without my tractor
Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Postby Rich » 22 Feb 2016 19:22

I love the front-end-loader although I didn't even think about it in the beginning. Now I use it more than any other implement.
Rich

Postby Rich » 04 Sep 2016 16:29

Busy year for my tractor. I have acquired:
bushhog, finish mower, cultivator, potato plow, boom sprayer, grader blade

Most were at rock-bottom prices from old farmers. I can't say I am proficient at all of them yet but I'm working on it.

Also upgraded my tractor with a temp gauge. It didn't come with one and after an hour of bush-hogging I was worried about overheating so I installed an aftermarket gauge using eBay parts.
Rich

Postby Rich » 04 Sep 2016 16:31

Also got rid of the Farmall. My skills weren't good enough and the guy I entrusted to rebuild my magneto stole it from me. Was the final sign of dishonesty (others also involved in the process) that convinced me to move it on.

The Kubota has also needed a lot of work but so far, I have been able to accomplish all using my own skills/tools. I have tried to stock up on a few seals.
Rich

Postby Rich » 18 May 2017 17:19

Almost have the boom sprayer working. Have had to replace everything but the steel but it will be 8' on either side when finished (16' total from side to side).

Disassembled my bush hog unintentionally this year as well by hitting too many stumps. Took it apart and welded the bolts on from underneath to create permanent studs and then lock-tited the nuts with lockwashers. For the stumps I am trying to rot them with potassium nitrate (stump remover). May have been a wasted Saturday attempting to drill them out.
Rich

Return to Tools