WATER FILTERS

Setting something aside

WATER FILTERS

Postby kmussack » 17 Aug 2017 03:38

I first heard the expression; "two is one, one is none", while training in the use of military explosives. The expression was intended to remind the soldier to double his priming.

I've since applied this expression to a number of critical things. One of the things I consider to be critical is the ability to filter water to insure that it is potable.

While my son was living at home his Big Berkey gravity filter constituted one of the two filters we had on hand. I then owned only one gravity filter and although adequate it is one of the low cost plastic models. (Shown here on the right.)

When my son moved out he took his Big Berkey with him. This left us with only one gravity filter in the house. For a number of years I had intended to get a Berkey of my own to fill out the "two is one" requirement. However, I suffered from sticker shock every time I was about to order one. Top end stainless steel high capacity gravity filters are pricey.

I went so far as to place one on my wish list on Amazon and the wife saw it and asked if I wanted to buy it. I said yes but OUCH! So we postponed the purchase.

Then I discovered that I can use my AMEX points on Amazon. I put all of my business travel expenses through that card and haven't even thought about the points. I had a bunch of them so I finally got my "dream filter".

I got the Crown Berkey with a 6-gallon capacity. I sprung for six of the Black Berkey Purification elements which should provide a 16.5 gallon/hour production rate.

I also got the Sight Glass Spigot so we could tell at a glance how much water we have on hand.

This piece of gear is too pretty to put away for a rainy day. So I'm going to begin using it regularly to filter drinking water and coffee water and water for ice production.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: WATER FILTERS

Postby kmussack » 19 Aug 2017 13:01

Before placing a gravity water filter into operation it is important to "prime" the ceramic filters. The process involves forcing water into the porous material displacing the air.

Berkey filters are shipped with a brown rubber grommet that can be used to place against the face of a household water faucet forcing tap water into the outlet port of the filter thereby priming from the inside of the filter.

Not wanting to be reliant upon municipal water pressure I purchased a filter element priming tool. Aside from providing independence from municipal water pressure this tool primes by moving the water in the normal direction of filtering flow.

This device consists of a rubber bulb with check valves that force flow in only one direction. There is also a fitting for attaching the device to a filter element.
I drew a bucket of water purified by my reverse osmosis system and immersed the filter into the water and began compressing the bulb. After approximately 15 compressions water flowed out of the priming device indicating that the filter had been fully primed (filled with water).

We're currently two elements short of a full complement of filters. Eventually I'll fill the vacant ports but we're good for now.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: WATER FILTERS

Postby Rich » 25 Sep 2017 18:34

We've run all our drinking water through a Berkey since 2011. Recently doubled the filters as it is harder and harder to keep it full during hot days of working outside with older kids. Love it and highly recommend. Every once in a while we scrub the filters with a toothbrush and then keep running them. Paid for itself long ago.
Rich

Return to Food and Water Storage