I LOVE BACON

Setting something aside

I LOVE BACON

Postby DIM TIM » 25 Jan 2017 11:11

Yep, I LOVE BACON. As a matter of fact I love it so much, after checking out bbkaren's post on canning bacon, and after watching some popular youtube videos on the subject, I just couldn't wait to try out a brand new pressure canning cooker I bought last summer. It's one of the 16 quart Mirro's I picked up at the local "Wally World".

I already had a good number of brand new jars, the parchment paper, and a large amount of bacon (eight pounds) that I bought on sale, so it was about time I got to doing some canning with my new one. So, one evening recently when there was nothing else pressing to do, I got everything together and started to can my eight pounds of bacon. I followed all the procedures, processed it for the amount of time and pressure required, and viola'........six, wide mouth mason jars filled with canned bacon. Mmmmmmm.
So a tip of my hat to bbkaren for the motivation to do this project, and my deepest thanks. So this begs the question.......have any of the rest of you tried this ??? And if not, why not ??? I mean, it's not rocket science, and if you buy your bacon at today's prices, can it now, and it goes up in price..... ;)
"It has been said that preparedness and being prepared promotes fear. This isn't true.......being UNPREPARED is what promotes fear."
DIM TIM
DIM TIM

Re: I LOVE BACON

Postby Ekiwinox » 25 Jan 2017 16:38

Google images "Bacon Roses" for some nice Valentine Day ideas.

The link to the 2010 post referenced in the post above is:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2897&hilit=Canning+Bacon

I like how in her excellent photographs the bacon from the top looks like canned roses.

In 2011, Backwoods Home published this article:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/canned-bacon/

I'm thinking Ball's Blue Book or their Complete Book of Home Preserving do not have instructions for Canned Bacon.

An article dated 2011 suggest not canning bacon, or butter, milk, lard, pickled eggs, refried beans, pumpkin puree, bread, and cake.
http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/safe- ... l-canning/

An article from 2016?
http://www.healthycanning.com/home-cann ... d-ham-etc/

Ball Mason Wide Mouth Pint Jars are adorable.
They are packaged in a case of 12 with a picture of greenbeens.
https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Mason-Wide- ... B001DIZ1NO

An alternative might be the shelf stable non refrigerated pre-cooked bacon available in grocery stores now. It can be eaten right out of the package with no cooking needed. I unsucessfully tried online to find out how far ahead they are dated for use by dates. The problem with the pre-cooked is they go into the refrigerator and mysteriously vanish.

Ball's Blue Book publishes a new book with slightly updated information every year. Although the article says no new research in the area of home canning has been done since the 80's. Walmart has the book in the canning area.
Ekiwinox

Postby DIM TIM » 14 Feb 2017 23:26

Sorry.I have not got back to reply till now. Been helping a woman I do yard work for to move. Thanks for the links. I'm hoping that I can get some more meats done soon when I take some of my vacation time for this year sometime in the next few months. Really want to do some chicken like my cousin's wife does. I'm also looking at some recipes for full meals like chili, bbq pulled pork and chicken, sloppy joes, etc,.
"It has been said that preparedness and being prepared promotes fear. This isn't true.......being UNPREPARED is what promotes fear."
DIM TIM
DIM TIM

Postby Rich » 08 Jun 2017 16:10

I love the bacon grease as well for flavoring collards and green beans. Makes an ordinary dish fantastic!
Rich

Return to Food and Water Storage