Late season canning

Setting something aside

Late season canning

Postby sinjar » 14 Nov 2016 14:38

It's always a tight schedule for us to do our canning during the summer as food is coming in from the garden. Pickles and peppers always get done immediately. But tomoatoes, jams etc get done when it's convenient, and cooler.

To keep things fresh we freeze it all and thaw as we need for canning. This year it was tomatoes, peppers, berries and cherries.

Now that it's cooling off significantly, we are in full swing. On Friday we put up 16 pints salsa, Saturday was 5 pts raspberry/blueberry/honey jam, 6 pts blueberry/strawberry jam/honey, today was 6 pints grape/honey jelly and 8 pts canned sour cherries.

We are using recipes this year that are pectin and sugar free (processed sugar that is) . We use apples added to the fruit for pectin instead of sure gel or similar products (our goal is to use only what we can grow ourselves ).

I still have more tomatoes and peppers left, probably 6 gallons or so. More salsa and some stewed whole tomatoes.

Anyway, it's been a fun few days. I can share recipes if anyone is interested.

We also picked our last onions and another bushel of potatoes on saturday....
sinjar

Re: Late season canning

Postby eossipov » 15 Nov 2016 02:13

sinjar wrote:
Anyway, it's been a fun few days. I can share recipes if anyone is interested.

Please :)
I try and subscribe to Hanlon's Razor as a first round indicator, but sometimes there is more, the more is what keeps me up at night.
eossipov

Postby Ekiwinox » 15 Nov 2016 22:53

It is a super fantastic idea to wait until the heat of the summer is over to can. Why heat up the kitchen in August? Why not heat the kitchen on a cold, damp, dreary day? Good for you.

Some other food preservation techniques may assist you in your need of avoiding having to use the already booked canner. The ones I can think of are dehydrating. This can also be used on food items that have been frozen. Wild fermentation was a method of preservation used in the olden days. Think sauercraut? Just cabbage and salt in a jar with no air getting at it. These two methods may give you nice products with easy, pleasant, enjoyable work in your own kitchen. Youtubes have friendly instructions for dehydrating and wild fermenting with just salt no vinegar. Having alternate methods of food processing may take a little bit of pressure off of the intense canning time schedule.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby Ekiwinox » 15 Nov 2016 23:05

I have enjoyed canning and the great satisfaction and benefits from it. I have felt those same satisfaction from dehydrating and fermenting. Mostly, I like vegetbles tht just have a really long root celar life like butternut squash does.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby sinjar » 16 Nov 2016 07:44

Eossipov, here ya go....

Grape/honey jelly
5qts whole stemmed grapes or 8 cup fresh grape juice and pulp
3.5 cups honey
Juice of one large lemon.

If using whole grapes, boil and mash them for 10 minutes, press through sieve and collect juice/pulp. Or run through a "squeezo" type strainer.

Mix all ingredients in large pot. Boil till it "sheets" on a metal spoon.

Place in sterilized jars, water bath process for 10 minutes.

Canned cherries w/honey syrup.

Pit as many cherries you have (volume isn't relevant )
Cold pack into sterile jars (smash em down good and tight)
Fill jars with light or medium syrup (recipe for syrup to follow)
Remove air bubbles with stir stick or butter knife
Water bath can 10 minutes

Light syrup....1.5 c honey to 4 cups water
Medium ....2 c honey to 4 cups water
Boil till mixed.

Berry/honey jam

6# any type of berry (cleaned etc...)
3 3/4 c honey
1.5 unpeeled apples (grated with peel still on, this is the natural pectin)
1.5 tbsp lemon juice

Mix all ingredients in large pot, simmer/boil till it "sheets" on a metal spoon. Pour into hot sterile jars, water bath can 10 minute.
Last edited by sinjar on 16 Nov 2016 07:57, edited 3 times in total.
sinjar

Postby sinjar » 16 Nov 2016 07:46

Eki, dehydrating and fermentation is awesome! We dehydrate all of our own herbs, jerky and some veg.

Last night the wife mixed up a batch of 22# cabbage for kraut. It's fermenting in the basement for the next three weeks. Then we will can it.
sinjar

Postby eossipov » 09 Jan 2017 22:31

sinjar wrote:Eossipov, here ya go....

Not sure how I missed this post, but I did.. Thank you kindly Sinjar.

I haven't canned much using honey, so it will be fun to try these out :)
~e.
I try and subscribe to Hanlon's Razor as a first round indicator, but sometimes there is more, the more is what keeps me up at night.
eossipov

Return to Food and Water Storage