Cornmeal Mush

Setting something aside

Cornmeal Mush

Postby Larry G » 19 Oct 2016 08:38

I found one other posting mentioning “Cornmeal Mush.” That was from four years ago and the explanation is completely different from the Cornmeal Mush that I know.

Yeah, I know. It sounds horrible. Who in their right mind would want to eat something that has a name like Cornmeal Mush? That’s the way I thought for many years. I decided to try it four or five years ago and was shocked at how good it is. I’ll try to explain how good it is, but my words will be inadequate. You have to try this to find out for yourself.

Cornmeal Mush is made by boiling Cornmeal till it thickens. (recipe below) Once it thickens, pour into a loaf pan and cover. Put it in the fridge and let sit overnight. The next day you’ll have a gelatinous mass that is solid enough to slice. Cut a slice of it and then fry till golden. Serve with a pat of butter, syrup,, or your favorite pancake topping. What you’ll have is a very light, delectable goodness that country folk ate during the depression, especially in the Appalachians. Cornmeal Mush is improperly named. It should be called Heavenly Corn Goodness or something like that. Here’s a recipe:

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/f59cl6nm/fr ... -mush.html
What's wrong with being antisocial when society is a sick SOB? - Me

Words are meaningless, the intent behind them is what counts. – Me
Larry G

Re: Cornmeal Mush

Postby Ekiwinox » 15 Nov 2016 22:18

Cornmeal Mush certainly sounds like something that is right up the alley of people who prepare and use what they store. Thank you for the recipe. It sounds for sure original to olden times.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 16 Nov 2016 04:25

Or........

From dried field corn first make Masa Harina.

Masa harina is made from field corn that is first dried and treated with slaked lime. At this point, the treated corn is ground into a dough, dried a second time, and then re-ground into masa harina flour. The slaked lime process gives corn tortillas their signature taste and texture, which is why masa harina cannot be substituted for cornmeal or corn flour.

http://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/2009/0 ... fresh.html

Then make Tortillas. (Use a wood burning oven, additional points for style.)

Practice this technique now when you can access the necessary ingredients and failure is just a learning experience.
The reward is at the table.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Blue Ridge Hillbilly » 24 Nov 2016 22:14

I was raised on Cornmeal Mush. We ate it for breakfast.
Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Postby Nigel » 25 Nov 2016 15:11

In Scotland we have porridge, much the same idea. Flaked oats are heated in water or milk 'till thickened and sometimes salt or honey is added. Before the modern age this was a staple food of those working in agriculture, what wasn't eaten was dried and sliced to be eaten cold or fried later. My wife and I have this as a winter breakfast, my son not quite convinced !
Matthew 6, 25/26.

Keep love in your heart and a glock at your side.
Nigel

Return to Food and Water Storage