Interesting Event Tonight

Setting something aside

Interesting Event Tonight

Postby Kolt » 02 Oct 2016 18:23

So, I'm in the middle of doing the dishes. No, I'm not kidding, I do the dishes around my place.

All of the sudden, the water pressure drops to almost nothing, just a trickle.

The wife and I check a few other faucets/spigots...results are the same.

While I start filling up containers with just the trickle, wondering how long it may trickle for, she texts the neighbors. They lost pressure too.

Don't misjudge. I have all kinds of stored water. I'm good, really, for a few weeks at least, but if it is still trickling, I'm topping off everything I can. Who knows how long this may last for.

So I top off the dogs water and a bunch of pitchers we have etc, etc.

The wife gets out the 'water bob' and starts filling it in the bathtub. If you don't have one of these, I'd suggest it. Stores up to 100 gallons. Mine is near full now.

I'm thinking about using our outside rain water barrels for flushing toilets and similar things.

Anyway, the pressure slowly starts increasing.

50 minutes after the initial drop, it is back up, but for how long?

Anyway it was a good drill to go through to spice up my Sunday evening.

I just thought I'd share.

Now I'm going to go take a shower in case it drops again :).

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Re: Interesting Event Tonight

Postby mosby's men » 11 Oct 2016 11:23

when that happens at my house it means the whole house filter needs to be changed
2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Postby Ekiwinox » 11 Oct 2016 22:08

Fun times. Great practice. I have to wonder what the other neighbors were doing. Most do not have a 2 liter bottle of water to rinse the soap out of their hair near the shower. That would be clutter. Evil clutter.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby eossipov » 15 Nov 2016 16:19

Kolt wrote:The wife gets out the 'water bob' and starts filling it in the bathtub. If you don't have one of these, I'd suggest it. Stores up to 100 gallons. Mine is near full now.

Thank you for this particular tidbit in your post, we purchased one right after I'd read this some time ago, and now have it nicely stored with the rest of our supplies.

I would not have purchased it if you hadn't mentioned it. I would not have thought the plastic sturdy enough.

Thanks! :D
I try and subscribe to Hanlon's Razor as a first round indicator, but sometimes there is more, the more is what keeps me up at night.
eossipov

Postby Kolt » 15 Nov 2016 17:23

You're welcome.

The plastic doesn't need to be too sturdy as the tub supports the 800 pounds of water.

One thing I did learn was that these things are single use. You can't dump out the water and reuse them later. You probably won't get it all out and then you have moldy water.

As per the instructions, I tossed mine after that escapade and bought two more. Cheap insurance.

I might not need the second, but it would be nice to pass off to someone.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby Ekiwinox » 15 Nov 2016 23:29

Not too long ago a child around here shook up grocery stores everywhere with their science fair project. Apparently, grocery cart handles are yucky. All grocery stores and Costco here now at the entrance have wet wipes so one can if they want clean their carrage handle. I do. Another child tested airplane water. Again yucky. Don't Drink the Water. I sort of wonder exactly what the inside of the faucet looks like. What does the inside of every faucet in America look like. That is sort of America centric. What does the inside of every faucet in the world and what does the inside of our water pipes and water towers look like? Just say no to water? Plus not all hoses are potable water quality. One whole school event years ago at my child's elementary school had every year on a hot day just before the end of the year a physical day outside. Water, of course, was supplied in the field. Think a potable water quality hose was used or a simple garden hose? Had that hose sat for months damp with mold in storage in an outbuilding? Do you know what your children are drinking? I know what mine were offered and teachers encouraged. Note: If you mention this to school officials expect them to be confused and have zero concept of water quality and how to safeguard it. I tried to explain this once to people in a cottage. The toilet had blue stuff in it. In the morning the water in the kitchen sink would run blue for a bit. Nobody else was bothered by this. Mentioning it was mean. I tried my best and failed.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby Rich » 26 Nov 2016 20:45

Kolt, assuming you are on city water... if you lose pressure that means that leaky pipes have the possibility of having groundwater enter the potable pipes. If that happens again I'd consider boiling water for drinking for a while, assuming you don't already have a nice filter for drinking water.
Rich

Postby Kolt » 27 Nov 2016 06:48

Rich wrote:Kolt, assuming you are on city water... if you lose pressure that means that leaky pipes have the possibility of having groundwater enter the potable pipes. If that happens again I'd consider boiling water for drinking for a while, assuming you don't already have a nice filter for drinking water.

Absolutely.

We had this happen with the recent hurricane last month.

Doing some research on the night I posted about. They were testing the system is preparation for the upcoming (at that time) hurricane.

Thanks though.

Take care,
K
Kolt

Return to Food and Water Storage