Rain Water Capture Reservoirs

Setting something aside

Re: Rain Water Capture Reservoirs

Postby kmussack » 05 Aug 2016 10:26

I’ve begun the detailed planning for the Reservoir Manifold. Here’s a front view (West Side);

Here’s a view of the right side (South Side):

Here’s a view of the left side (North Side):

The rain gutters on the garage are only high enough to fill the bottom row of totes to capacity. So I’ll direct the flow of the house gutters to fill the top row of totes and then over flow into the bottom row.

There will be two outlets; one for the top row of totes and one for the bottom row.

Top dead center of each tote there will be a 2” diameter screened vent to allow the tote to breath.

I discovered that standard hose bibs have a flow passage only about 3/8”. This works ok when the water is pressurized but with a gravity flow system the flow constriction would be crippling. So I’m going to use ¾” ball valves on the outlet with garden hose adapters. These valves have an honest ¾” flow passage.

To attach to each tote’s outlet I’m going to use a Female Cam-Lock Quick Coupler with a 2” MIPT. This will ensure that I can disassemble the manifold in the event I need to conduct repairs or replace a tote.

Back to the drawing board, er ah, I mean computer.
Last edited by kmussack on 08 Dec 2016 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 11 Aug 2016 10:18

Ok, so I’m just sitting here thinking about the rainwater collection system and know that I’m going to need to incorporate first flush diverters to each of the down-spouts. (These devices keep most of the bird poop, dirt, leaves, etc. from flowing into your tanks.)

What I don’t know is how big do these diverters need to be; 5-gallon, 10-gallon, 20-gallon, what?

I figured that a description of the analysis had to be out there somewhere so I Googled it.

HOLY COW!!! I HIT THE JACKPOT.

Sizing the First Flush and its Effect on the Storage-Reliability –yield Behavior of Rainwater Harvesting in Rwanda, by Kelly C. Doyle submitted to the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at……..

Are you ready for this?

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Friggin’ MIT for cryin’ out loud!!!!

It’s 151 pages of pure gold!!!!

It’s being printed as I write this and I’ll bind it. I will dedicate a brand new highlighter to this.

I know; it’s sad that a guy should get all excited over something so mundane…..but hey, that’s me.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Ekiwinox » 11 Aug 2016 12:44

"Cam-Lock Quick Coupler" Yes, because those water tanks would be difficult to flip over and over to tighten the seal. Cam-Lock Quick Coupler so handy on garden hoses and things that need to be attached to the garden hose.

I will dedicate a brand new highlighter to this. Office supplies are close to my heart, too.

It’s being printed as I write this and I’ll bind it. Like three hole or something fancier? If you have something fancier I am jealous. I do own one of those heavy duty can do more than the standard number of pages three hole punch. Or are you one of those guys that take the electric drill to it? For something our group was doing, everything was in the binder but this one booklet. taps fingers. taps fingers. I flipped it around and put the holes into the open side. It took a bit. That booklet was now in the binder where it belonged. One guy had his in the binder the correct way. ???!!! Electric Drill. One Smart Guy.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 11 Aug 2016 13:33

Simple 3-hole punch.
We have a 3-hole drill here at work that can do 1" of paper at a time.
I don't mess with it.
I used to "comb-bind" stuff but not anymore.
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 13 Aug 2016 08:56

I'm pecking away at the rainwater capture system. I cleaned another tank this morning before being driven indoors by the oppressive heat. So now I'm working on making screened breather adaptors to go in the large fill caps on top of each tank.
Starting with a 2" Schedule #40 PVC Male Adapter- MIPT x Socket I layout and cut a circular bit of window screen

Then I put the disk of window screen in the bottom of the socket end of the fitting and press in a short piece of 2" Schedule #40 pipe to hold it in place.

The center of the large filler cap is threaded to match the 2" MIPT so then I just thread it in.

Last edited by kmussack on 08 Dec 2016 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 16 Aug 2016 14:13

So we keep inching forward with the rainwater capture project.
In the "stinkin' hot" of last Sunday Andy and I continued the process of washing and rinsing the IBC totes.
Here's a video of the process;
https://youtu.be/N4j-xkKnG_0
The goal for this year is to finish the concrete pad, clean and wrap and stack the totes.
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 19 Aug 2016 12:38

I had today off so I worked on the rainwater harvesting system.
I rinsed out several more tanks and supervised the preparation of the base for the concrete pad.
I cleared the area behind the garage and marked out the ground with yellow spray paint.

We rented a micro-bulldozer/Bobcat to do the excavation. (No pick & shovel work here.)

After excavating to a depth that would allow a 6-inch compacted base and a 5 1/2-inch concrete pad we spread out crushed stone (oughts & ones).

We then vibratory compacted the stone in layers until we reached the desired depth.

Done. Now we can pour the concrete pad.

Last edited by kmussack on 08 Dec 2016 14:10, edited 2 times in total.
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 20 Aug 2016 11:32

I was out finishing up the washing and rinsing process on the totes and it occurred to me that the screen in the breather plug I'd made was pretty course and that we'd be better protected against the intrusion of pests into the tanks if we used a finer screen.
We've got a supply of very fine mesh that we use to screen the ventilation inlet to the greenhouse.
Here's a comparison of the two screens;

As you can see in this image the plastic mesh is 36X finer than the aluminum window screen I was using.
Using the same basic idea as before I cut a disk of the finer mesh;

I used a 1.5-inch long piece of 2" Schedule #40 PVC pipe as a retainer. To be sure to pinch the mesh disk I faced and turned a step on the O.D. of one end of the pipe in the lathe.

Then I inserted the mesh disk into the socket end of the 2" PVC adapter.

Next I used a dead blow hammer to assemble the parts. The mesh disk is securely pinched in place.

This is what the breather looks like installed in the filler cap of the IBC tote;

I'm reasonably certain that this screened breather won't allow any bugs to infiltrate the totes now.
Last edited by kmussack on 08 Dec 2016 14:11, edited 2 times in total.
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 20 Aug 2016 14:18

It's not getting any better.....
We are in the red. This is a real motivator for this project....
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 24 Aug 2016 13:31

I finished reading the MIT Master of Science thesis on sizing first flush diverters and I also read a paper by a couple of blokes from the University of Portsmouth/Warwick, UK.

All the calculus, tables, graphs, experiments, diagrams, photographs and the answer is............it depends.

I'll screen the gutters, first flush about 10-gallons per roof slope and filter at the inlet to the reservoir and be happy with whatever I get.

If we ever have to drink it we'll run it through a Big Burkey anyway.
kmussack

PreviousNext

Return to Food and Water Storage