Rain Water Capture Reservoirs

Setting something aside

Re: Rain Water Capture Reservoirs

Postby kmussack » 04 Jun 2017 13:50

We've moved a little closer to bringing our rainwater harvesting system on line.
The rain gutters on the garage have been pressure washed and screened.
This is intended to exclude the vast majority of debris from the collected rainwater.
The fine mesh on the gutter covers combined with the first flush diverter should keep the reservoirs free of most of the usual contaminants.
The garage roof offers a 980 square foot collection surface. The house is nearly twice that much. Next, to wash and screen the house gutters.
Last edited by kmussack on 22 Jul 2017 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Ekiwinox » 05 Jun 2017 17:17

I'm gobsmacked. Every single house in a prepared America and a prepared world should be designed just like this. Or at least to the same basic principles that guided this design adjusted for their specific location on the map. I could go on and on about how much I like the design and other stuff but that is probably not what you are looking for by posting here. Thank you for posting things here. I/We really enjoy reading your posts. The reason you pay us the big bucks is not for our accolades but for our critiques. A review of my critiques may prove I have zero idea what I am talking about. I feel I need to state them in order to get to get to view whatever you post next. They are not negative. They are I am sure you have already thought about them and handled every single one of them. If I happen to find one tiny thing you had not thought about in quite the same way... I will consider that a win.

Also all new houses should be handicap thought in them. It is most cost efficient to just do when built and not have to redo. Zero reason a handicap ramp should lead to a door that the wheelchair does not fit into necessitating the 92? year old person being moved to a chair each way to move the wheelchair into and out of the house. As I witnessed this weekend.
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 06 Jun 2017 04:13

Ekiwinox wrote:...Also all new houses should be handicap thought in them. It is most cost efficient to just do when built and not have to redo. Zero reason a handicap ramp should lead to a door that the wheelchair does not fit into necessitating the 92? year old person being moved to a chair each way to move the wheelchair into and out of the house. As I witnessed this weekend...

I'm not an architect but I designed my home. I designed it almost 40-years ago but was mindful of the needs of the aging (me). I designed all the passageways/hallways 4-feet wide and all of the doorways 3-feet wide. The cellar stairs are also 4-feet wide. This summer we'll be replacing the front deck with a smaller entrance-way incorporating a ramp. It's good to plan for the future, even when that future isn't that pretty.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 11 Jun 2017 08:53

The rainwater harvest system is now on line.
Shown here is the connection to the south slope of the garage roof.
That stack of 2" PVC rising above the top row of totes is where the house gutters will be attached.
Here is the connection to the north slope of the garage roof.
Note that there is a first flush diverter at each feed point.
Here is a closer view of the interface connection.
Last edited by kmussack on 22 Jul 2017 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
kmussack

Postby Kolt » 11 Jun 2017 11:00

Here is an alternative approach to a rain water capture system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRJw69noD4w

If AnalyticalSurvival (youtube owner from above link) and kmussack got together to pick each other's brains, I can imagine the awesome outcome.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby kmussack » 11 Oct 2017 09:40

The system has been "winterized".
It has been drained and the valves have been left open.
The bottom caps and float balls have been removed from the first flush diverters.
This directs any incoming water directly to drain.
After the threat of freezing is past we'll put it all back.
kmussack

Postby Ekiwinox » 11 Oct 2017 20:46

I did not understand/know there was a drain at the end of the summer plan. I did not understand how the system especially the thinner non bulk water storage was freeze safe. Now I understand better. I had zero idea the plan was to delete the water during the colder months. I thought the bulk water residual heat was the plan to magically keep everything from freezing and cracking. It made no sense to me. Draining the system makes sense. It gets really cold up north sometimes.

Did you get to make good use of the water at the end of the season?

Some years if it does not get too cold the system could maybe survive without draining?
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 12 Oct 2017 03:26

When I was a boy my Dad would take me ice fishing.
First order of business was to chop holes in the ice.
I would often chop through 18" to 20" of ice to clear a hole through which to fish.
Yes, it freezes up here.
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 12 Oct 2017 10:20

So, what is your 'post event' winter water plan? Without being too nosey.
whls4legs

Postby kmussack » 12 Oct 2017 10:53

whls4legs wrote:So, what is your 'post event' winter water plan? Without being too nosey.

The primary purpose of this system was to supply irrigation water to our gardens.
Taking it off line over the winter leaves us with a well with a hand pump as our backup for municipal water.
Generally, during the winter months there is plenty of snow available to melt too.
kmussack

PreviousNext

Return to Food and Water Storage