food storage

Setting something aside

food storage

Postby MarkoSerbia » 17 Jun 2017 12:39

I went through my food storage, just to check expiration dates and what I have and what should I buy more.
- on one side I have MRE food, not expensive military type, we have here normal prepared meals for about 1,5$ ( stuffed cabbage, lean beans, beans with sausage, beans with bacon, sweet peas with meat balls, meat balls in tomato sauce and similar) I have that for about 20 days, not including 4 days packed in my camping/bug out bag.
- in addition to MRE I have a lot of tuna, sardines, Pâté (bread spread), spam ( our version of this is different than spam in US, but it is caned meat) and of course toasted bread.
- pasta, all kinds.
- to combine with pasta and eat normal meal I have dried sauces (cheese, tomato, mushrooms etc), caned tomato, canned sweet peas, beans.
- ramen noodles of course :). it is crap food, but I like to add little bit of rice or red lentils and there you go, it is already better meal.
- dehydrated soups ( chicken, beef, tomato, mushroom, broccoli, vegetable etc) these are pack for 4 plates, but I also have small ones for one cup.
- canned fruits. I also make canned fruits myself like sour cherry compote and apricot compote.
- homemade jam, plum, apricot and strawberry.
- and of course, dried beans, lentils, chickpeas, barley, wheat, corn, rice. this combination is surely for more than one year supply.
- vegetable oil, sugar, salt, flour, dried yeast, corn flour and corn meal, various dried seasonings. all for more than one year supply.
- to cook all that if power grid collapse or more likely power restrictions occur, there is year supply of propane,and in winter I cook on wood stove.
- there are always fresh onions ( around 10kg) and potatoes (around 20kg) and other vegetables. freezer is full, so that is first to consume if something happen and Bugging out is not option.

so, I am pretty satisfied. I will try to calculate in minimum calories per day how long this amount of food would be enough. For know I think I could eat normal and various at least 3 months before switch on bean-rice-bread everyday :)

Are you satisfied with your food supply? and any ideas maybe what should I add to my storage?
MarkoSerbia

Re: food storage

Postby Kolt » 17 Jun 2017 15:32

If bugging our is not an option (and it is, given the right circumstances, like a fire) then I would focus on how to make your food SUSTAINABLE.

Food storage is great, but you can only store so much. Sooner or later, whatever finite amount you stored is going to be depleted.

Think food on the hoof, or foot, or fin or whatever works for you and your area. I haven't seen Serbia since 2000 and when I did, it was at night so I don't remember seeing too much. You know your area the best What kind of sustainable food source will work for you?

Just my input.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby MarkoSerbia » 18 Jun 2017 00:14

Kolt wrote:If bugging our is not an option (and it is, given the right circumstances, like a fire) then I would focus on how to make your food SUSTAINABLE.

Food storage is great, but you can only store so much. Sooner or later, whatever finite amount you stored is going to be depleted.

Think food on the hoof, or foot, or fin or whatever works for you and your area. I haven't seen Serbia since 2000 and when I did, it was at night so I don't remember seeing too much. You know your area the best What kind of sustainable food source will work for you?

Just my input.

Take care,
K

I live in suburban area of Belgrade, and I have small garden. I produce enough tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, chard, zucchini, spring onions, lettuce, hot peppers, beet and seasoning herbs. and few plum, apple, sour cherry trees. Big fires, earthquakes and floods doesn't happen in this area, so bugging out is option if something really almost impossible happen. In case of war, I will be in front line. My idea is to by some land in remote village somewhere, few hectares with forest is perfect.
MarkoSerbia

Postby Ekiwinox » 18 Jun 2017 10:24

Chocolate, sugar, milk powder, water filter.
Perhaps you might adding cabbage to the garden and making naturally fermented sauerkraut? Lots of vegetables can be naturally pickled with just salt and a bit of water. I do not know if you have access to a food dehydrator or vacuum packer. This will decrease the storage area needed and make light food to carry. Food can be vacuum packed in jars with special adapters that cover the cap of the jar until it is packed. Any interest in a couple rabbits or chicken? They may not be allowed in all areas.

Edited to add: I thought Kolt was pretty prophetic there but now I have caught on as to how he knew MarkoSerbia lived in Serbia.
For what it is worth my favorite earthquake guesserer is Dutchsince. He reports on all of the earthquakes not just the politically correct ones. He mentioned areas around Serbia on his latest update at the 25:40 to 32:32 of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sElZxkocJq0
6/18/2017 -- Major Pacific Unrest coming -- Eastern Europe new warning issued
I speed up the time to double speed and one can click along the bottom bar to skip right to the time stamp one wants and not have to watch the whole YouTube.
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Europe/ ... 4_768.html
is a great site to help remember where all the countries are.
Ekiwinox

Postby MarkoSerbia » 25 Jun 2017 13:17

Ekiwinox wrote:Chocolate, sugar, milk powder, water filter.
Perhaps you might adding cabbage to the garden and making naturally fermented sauerkraut? Lots of vegetables can be naturally pickled with just salt and a bit of water. I do not know if you have access to a food dehydrator or vacuum packer. This will decrease the storage area needed and make light food to carry. Food can be vacuum packed in jars with special adapters that cover the cap of the jar until it is packed. Any interest in a couple rabbits or chicken? They may not be allowed in all areas.

Edited to add: I thought Kolt was pretty prophetic there but now I have caught on as to how he knew MarkoSerbia lived in Serbia.
For what it is worth my favorite earthquake guesserer is Dutchsince. He reports on all of the earthquakes not just the politically correct ones. He mentioned areas around Serbia on his latest update at the 25:40 to 32:32 of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sElZxkocJq0
6/18/2017 -- Major Pacific Unrest coming -- Eastern Europe new warning issued
I speed up the time to double speed and one can click along the bottom bar to skip right to the time stamp one wants and not have to watch the whole YouTube.
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Europe/ ... 4_768.html
is a great site to help remember where all the countries are.

I have some chocolate, milk powder in storage, I probably forgot to mention in my post. have a lot of sugar, more than year supply.
I will buy water filter, Sawyer is my choice, but I have already one bigger one, not portable, it can do a job in house, not outside.
keeping animals in this area is forbidden, only pets allowed. I could get chicken and rooster, and call them pets :D
I look up that video, interesting, thanks. in few southern areas of Serbia earthquakes happen occasionally, I noticed that when chandelier move :)
MarkoSerbia

Postby Ekiwinox » 25 Jun 2017 21:35

Chandelier is good friend. :-)

The whole rooster crowing thing is an issue. Perhaps more quiet rabbits or some people some places apparently eat guinea pigs but I never said it. Super glad you already had areas covered.

Near your area of forest retreat plant some food growing reserves if possible. Maybe somebody in your or her family already own some country property. Perhaps purchase next to them? Plant their land too?
Ekiwinox

Return to Food and Water Storage