Hauling Water

Setting something aside

Hauling Water

Postby kmussack » 25 Apr 2017 12:27

A couple of weeks ago I mixed up some hydroponic solution for my son to use at his house. I was doing the lifting because he was recuperating from an emergency appendectomy.

I mixed two 5-gallon buckets of solution in the greenhouse, capped them and carried them up three steps and out to my truck that was about 60 feet away.

Upon reaching my truck I set the buckets down to lower the tailgate and it occurred to me.

Those who claim that their emergency water plan is to haul water from a source only a half or quarter mile away; have they ever actually done it in practice?

Those two buckets weighed approximately 85 pounds. That’s a seriously heavy load to carry any distance. I had exerted myself moving them only that short distance.

Ask anybody from the third world; hauling water is brutally hard, time consuming work.

Why is this man smiling? It’s because those buckets are empty.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: Hauling Water

Postby Kolt » 25 Apr 2017 13:31

You bring up good point. They are heavy.

I believe that is why God allowed man to invent the wheel barrow and the garden cart/wagon.

Then again, we can always use some more PT.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby Ekiwinox » 25 Apr 2017 14:47

Dumping water from a seven gallon blue cube aqua tainer periodically seemed to cause pains around my heart from muscle strain several days later. I checked out fine. Then later it occurred to me what might have caused it. Maybe if they had simply asked have you recently started lifting 56 pounds several times a day and swinging it around when you have never lifted weights before then some medical expense would have been saved.

For many ladies 5 gallon containers of water, wheat or sugar can be slid a few feet. Ladies do not want to carry these things around full especially up stairs. Half full is way more doable. Please consider Gamma screw top lids for five gallon containers. Ignore the cost and get a multi pack of various colors. Use the colors as codes for contents. Most ladies are not going to be opening a regular sealed lid five gallon bucket to get a cup of flour. This means no cake for you. I can tell you what is going to happen. It will be just like when we found a young lady, now old, determined to get that six inch tree wide trunk to fit into the three inch wide tree stand using a Ginsu knife to sharpen the tree into a pencil point. You don't want a Ginsu used to attempt to open that five gallon bucket of flour. Six of these Gamma lids would make the homestead way more user friendly. Mark them with Righty Tighty (arrow to the right) Lefty Loosey (arrow to the left.) Maybe include a rubber mallet for loosening only.

For older or younger three liter soda bottles as they are wide mouth are way more user friendly. Elderly often find one gallon milk containers too difficult to use.

Two water moving methods added here just to cover the bases for new readers.
Google Images "rolling water container africa" and "Reliance 8 Gallon Hydroller Rolling Water Storage Container".

While I'm at it... I'll type kmussack's next post for him: If you have a bucket and a cover you are going to want a key. You need two is one of these. "Plastic 5-Gal. Pail Opener" bright orange easy to find. There are other styles, some metal, that might work even better. This makes opening up a bucket especially for a lady so much more able to happen.

How To Easily Open 5 Gallon Buckets - Opener Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovds3ruWE6I
I'm laughing because the youtube is two is one, one is none, also.
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 25 Apr 2017 23:59

Yes, yes, garden carts and jogging strollers (the wheel is good).

There are security issues associated with prey regularly visiting water holes.

A secure and reliable source of plentiful potable water near your home is essential.

Safety Tip; don't live in a desert. (Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc.)
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Joe » 29 Apr 2017 23:17

We carry it by the 5 gal bucket. Usually two at a time for balance. Usually only about 40 feet but sometimes 100 yds
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby whls4legs » 30 Apr 2017 12:45

Joe wrote:We carry it by the 5 gal bucket. Usually two at a time for balance. Usually only about 40 feet but sometimes 100 yds

Unless, of course, you get free overnight delivery.
whls4legs

Postby whls4legs » 30 Apr 2017 12:56

Eki. We also do gamma seal lids, love em. No colors, we just guess. Also have a couple bung wrench/bucket openers hanging anywhere there are buckets and barrels stored.

Have seen the metal ring support with wheels for rolling the std 5/6 gal buckets, but the casters are unsuitable for any but the smoothest surfaces. We do, however move three at a time, lids on, obviously, with the cheapie two wheel dolly from harbor freight. Pneumatic tires help over terrain. Ours are almost 20, and still rolling. Although we have replaced tires.
whls4legs

Postby kmussack » 05 May 2017 10:50

Joe wrote:We carry it by the 5 gal bucket. Usually two at a time for balance. Usually only about 40 feet but sometimes 100 yds

Food for thought.

kmussack

Postby Joe » 05 May 2017 12:45

whls4legs wrote:

Unless, of course, you get free overnight delivery.

Lol
That was good
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby kmussack » 31 Jul 2017 14:01

The Hippo Water Roller.....still doesn't beat gravity fed pipe to the house.
kmussack

Next

Return to Food and Water Storage