deer vs orchard

Veggies, Fruits, and yes - wild edibles too

Re: deer vs orchard

Postby whls4legs » 27 Sep 2017 08:51

We have deer. Lots. In the evening as many eight around bird feeders. We also have three small orchards. Mostly apples and pecans, with some stone fruits and oddball nuts mixed in, about 60 trees altogether. 5' fences have proven adequate. However on occasion larger deer have pushed against fencing and retrieved an apple or two. No biggie, they and the critters get the rough ones anyway.

The veg garden is also surrounded by a 5' fence with an additional line of wire @6'. No pinwheels, pop cans, or other attechments. Deer acclimatize quickly to objects, dogs, sounds, and such, and they are not effective long. In the many years we've been here there has only been one clear a fence. Young buck. Must have been a teaching moment, as it never re-occurred.

Dogs never run loose. Ever. They have two 1 acre+ fenced exercise areas. They don't deter deer anyway. I think the dogs perceive the deer as goats, but I don't know. I've had dogs on porch and deer in yard. Not the dogs job. They're not to alert but to one animal. (Exceptions; everything makes the two beagles nuts, and the occasional armadillo makes everyone nuts, 14 dog serenade at 3 am.)

We check cameras daily, and have yet to capture a shot of a deer catapult itself, or any pot, over a fence.

But I'm always watching.
Last edited by whls4legs on 27 Sep 2017 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
whls4legs

Postby kmussack » 27 Sep 2017 10:48

Dep-re-da-tion, noun
1. An act of attacking or plundering

We have not suffered from wildlife eating our vegetables this year. We’ve witness visitations and have seen evidence in the form of tracks and scat but remarkably we’ve been spared any noticeable losses.

Last weekend my wife and I harvested and pickled our beets. In previous years we suffered substantial losses due to rodents eating the exposed parts of the beets. This year there was no evidence of rodent depredation.

We have no explanation for this.

In time of famine hunting pressure will probably reduce the wildlife population and make the surviving deer, rabbits, squirrels, etc. too wary for garden raids.
Therefore in the hard times, depredation of your garden by game animals will likely be reduced.

There will be however an even larger threat of depredation to your orchards, vineyards, berry patches, chicken coops and garden plots; hungry neighbors and refugees.

This will call for some serious noodlin’.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 27 Sep 2017 11:07

My explanation would be a good year overall, providing adequate natural forage for the destructive b**tards. You got lucky.

You may ultimately need to fence a little. To guard against all form of critters, and to establish a point of interference you can attach notification' devices to.

Noodle up some layers. (Not chickens)
whls4legs

Postby kmussack » 27 Sep 2017 12:00

whls4legs wrote:My explanation would be a good year overall, providing adequate natural forage for the destructive b**tards. You got lucky.

You may ultimately need to fence a little. To guard against all form of critters, and to establish a point of interference you can attach notification' devices to.

Noodle up some layers. (Not chickens)

Roger that.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Previous

Return to Gardening