Strawberries are in........

Veggies, Fruits, and yes - wild edibles too

Strawberries are in........

Postby Hawk45 » 19 Apr 2017 14:45

and are bringing stupid high prices. Went with a friend today so he could pick up some for his wife and Mother in Law. Picked gallons were $13.50 each. Nice sweet juicy berries, but it was higher than I would have paid. I may need to get a couple more barrels to plant some for me.

Now ask yourself one thing, what would you pay for something you LOVE to eat? For that matter anything to eat?

You got YOUR garden out yet?
It takes a village......to feed a T Rex

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!

I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying, "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
Hawk45

Re: Strawberries are in........

Postby Ekiwinox » 19 Apr 2017 15:32

"Nice sweet juicy berries" sound way nicer than the beautiful, huge, still white at the top, flavorless ones sold in the grocery store. Maybe they have a gallon of seconds for way less. May have to ask. Ask for jam berries. Or day old berries. I just made all that up but if there are deer carrots then maybe there are jam berries. Of ask for a bulk price. But you are doing tons better growing them yourself. And the price is right. I hope they are in barrels. The thing about strawberries is number one they are way down there and hard to reach. The other is it is hot and sunny in the commercial field and no shade. We have a bit of a battle in our house. Some people like the bisket shortcake and somebody else likes the sponge kind. So we buy both. Luckily we all agree on which way the TP should roll. People really need to check out a few of these things before marriage.
Ekiwinox

Postby Hawk45 » 20 Apr 2017 18:27

According to the Patent drawing for the toilet paper, the CORRECT way is over the top. Being the OCD person I am, I fix it every time the daughter puts it on the WRONG way!

I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying, "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
Hawk45

Postby kmussack » 25 Apr 2017 02:59

Hawk45 wrote:According to the Patent drawing for the toilet paper, the CORRECT way is over the top. Being the OCD person I am, I fix it every time the daughter puts it on the WRONG way!

I agree with the above; unless there is a house-cat about. Reversing the direction of the roll will preclude the cat from unrolling the entire length onto the bathroom floor.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Hawk45 » 25 Apr 2017 12:07

Got two house cats and they can be trained to leave the TP alone. Just one or two 'swirles' on their rear ends when they are doing it has a definite discouraging affect on them. Only had to teach one. I figure the other one clued the second in.

Hawk45

Postby eossipov » 28 Apr 2017 14:13

Hawk45 wrote:and are bringing stupid high prices. Went with a friend today so he could pick up some for his wife and Mother in Law. Picked gallons were $13.50 each. Nice sweet juicy berries, but it was higher than I would have paid. I may need to get a couple more barrels to plant some for me.

Now ask yourself one thing, what would you pay for something you LOVE to eat? For that matter anything to eat?

You got YOUR garden out yet?

Is that earlier than normal for your neck of the woods?

Seems a bit early; but I am not familiar with your zones. For here, it would be way early as ours are not ready until very late may/june.

The Kiwanis's here sell a 5 gal bucket for like $20.00 during peek season (with sugar or without), haven't bought one in a number of years, but honestly, it's cheaper than growing my own. I can make a years+supply for the two of us with that bucket.
I try and subscribe to Hanlon's Razor as a first round indicator, but sometimes there is more, the more is what keeps me up at night.
eossipov

Postby Hawk45 » 28 Apr 2017 16:09

Those were a little early due to a very mild winter and spring. They are coming in full bore now.

For $20 for a 5 gallon bucket I would have $100 worth in a heart beat! Would just have to buy another little freezer just for them.

Think home made strawberry Ice Cream year round! I loved it when they motorized the home freezers!

Hawk45

Return to Gardening