And So It Begins......

Pets to Livestock to Varmints

Moderator: Morrigan

Re: And So It Begins......

Postby Rich » 03 Sep 2017 18:31

I have been busy the past month and my kids allowed something to eat all of the (old) chickens that we had left. I don't think any were still laying eggs but I hate to see them go to a predator.

Whatever it was it didn't trip the hav-a-heart trap.
Rich

Postby whls4legs » 03 Sep 2017 19:27

I've been having a difficult time with our live traps. Both springing appropriately and keeping the smarter/stronger racoons in after the fact. I'm whittling don't the nine or so that visit us in the evenings.

We're restarting our layers this week.
whls4legs

Postby Ekiwinox » 03 Sep 2017 19:35

Mostly too because now the predator know exactly where to Win a Chicken Dinner when you get new chickens.

It is like there is a mouse in the kitchen and knowing the mouse has ICBM's capable of carrying thermonuclear mouse poops targeting the spoons in the kitchen and having only a vague description of the mouse.

To help figure out what got the chickens we need to know if they were all harvested in one night? Were they just killed and left? Have the neighbors seen any animals in the area? The predator got into the coop somehow?

The non-laying may have lost their life but if this predator thing can be figured out their death can help save the next chickens to inhabit the coop.

Who cares how much wood a woodchuck could chuck.

Opossums kill chickens but they also are a voracious tick eater.

Strengthen the coop run and use the chickens as bait to get the possums to eat the ticks.

Sorry about the chickens. It sounds like they were living out their lives in a nice place until the predator got them.

If one was depending on chickens for eggs does the one coop is none and two is one help if a person keeps two coops on opposite corners of their property or are they simply providing Friday nights and Saturday nights chicken dinner to the predator?

If the chickens could lure in the possums and the strong security gets them to eat the ticks and not the chicks... .
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 10 Sep 2017 07:27

And so after several months and a lot of effort here it is, our first egg.
I discovered this just this morning. One of the RR's has begun taking the submissive posture when I enter the run so I suspected she might be ready to start laying.
My son had told me not to expect eggs until December....this comes as a pleasant surprise.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 10 Sep 2017 09:56

Yeah!

I'm looking at January/February.
whls4legs

Postby kmussack » 15 Sep 2017 04:55

Fried eggs with melted cheddar cheese.
This is what it was all about.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 15 Sep 2017 08:24

You eat like that, youre gonna die, dude. That's a brisk 4 hour walk on that plate.

Although it looks delicious. Need a slice or two of scrapple, (you know, pig innards and corn meal, fried in lard. I miss it), and a piece of well buttered wheat bread toast.

Glad your cackleberrys are coming on.
whls4legs

Postby Ekiwinox » 15 Sep 2017 18:57

I tried jabbing my well buttered wheat bread toast into the perfect flavor yokes but I just got butter on my computer screen.
Ekiwinox

Previous

Return to Critters