And So It Begins......

Pets to Livestock to Varmints

Moderator: Morrigan

Re: And So It Begins......

Postby kmussack » 04 Jul 2017 11:26

We're still sorting the whole name thing out.

Maybe.....Eggcelsior Hotel

Or .....Motel Chicks, We'll keep a light on for ya.

“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Kolt » 04 Jul 2017 14:07

I know a couple of buddies from Marine Recon that would be proud of your innovation. For some reason, they tend to have a thing for paddles :).

Great idea,

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby Ekiwinox » 04 Jul 2017 17:29

Apparently my dad used to make from wood tiny little speed boats with mega engines that went on lakes. He used to put me and my sister inside with life jackets on and drive like a Bat Out of Hell. I'm pretty good on water. He said looking back it was stupid to do. He used to build boats in my mom's living room. One day he sold a boat. Off handily after the sale was done for no reason what so ever he just added in a paddle. A little tiny paddle. MY beloved little tiny paddle. My tool to the water. I still feel crushed why he would do that. It was a child sized paddle. He obviously had zero idea how important having my own little child sized paddle was to me. Note my dad was cool. He was a tool and die maker. He knew the math and stuff. For Christmas he made for me and muy sistr little sample blocks of an inch by half an inch by half an inch mahogany, copper, stainless steel, oak, etc. etc. etc. with the name of each stamped into it. Titanium cutting tools. Things that had threads, ball bearings, etc. I value this gift a lot. Nobody else would at all ever. One day at a very young I sat on a tall stool and watched him work. It was a shop atmosphere possibly softened a bit for the children. That is how I knew how stuff in a shop worked. Eventually I too worked in a shop. That is where the money was for me. It really, really helped support my family. The ability to do even simple addition and subtraction scared everybody else away from simple jobs that paid a bit more. This made a big difference in my life. The simple ability to add and subtract to three places past that pesky decimal point made a huge difference in my life. Nobody else wanted to do this. It was like a secret job nobody else wanted. Previous to this some boss pulled me aside and made me a handy dandy chart. It showed the places smaller than the number one both in how to write it and how to call it such as .001 as I hope it is called one one thousandths. That simple chart saved me and my job. So with a teeny tiny bit of math I could hold a job that raised a family. From what I have seen at local Community Colleges that tiny bit of math for some students was tons beyond their ability or interest in learning. I have increased my employablity greatly since then. My math skills are still low level. Even low level, because I can add and subtract past the decimal point to three places, which is hardly rocket science and barely even math my skills are to them superfantastic to employers. Clearly everybody else must have massive negative math skills. To homeschoolers. Take note. Pretty much zero people will have any idea of math inculding the people hiring you. Just put something math on your resume and you are GOLD.
Last edited by Ekiwinox on 04 Jul 2017 18:06, edited 2 times in total.
Ekiwinox

Postby Ekiwinox » 04 Jul 2017 17:40

"Eggcelsior Hotel

Or .....Motel Chicks"

No, no, no. We are going for Viking Ship Types. Or actual Viking Ship Names. Or something Viking. I tried for the earlier post to research the size of your chicken run to match the dimensions to styles of various Viking ships. :-)

There is a huge body of work to research and get mega unique good hits for you.

Please do not be boring.

This is one aspect of ones life one can go totally hog wild in and probably suffer few to non negative aspects from.

Go Hog Wild in a non pork way. :-)

We do really appreciate the up close and personal aspects of your posts.

Especially regarding the nose prints into wire.

We may need to rename the dog.
Ekiwinox

Postby Rich » 19 Jul 2017 19:28

Ekiwinox wrote:Apparently my dad used to make from wood tiny little speed boats with mega engines that went on lakes. He used to put me and my sister inside with life jackets on and drive like a Bat Out of Hell. I'm pretty good on water. He said looking back it was stupid to do. He used to build boats in my mom's living room. One day he sold a boat. Off handily after the sale was done for no reason what so ever he just added in a paddle. A little tiny paddle. MY beloved little tiny paddle. My tool to the water. I still feel crushed why he would do that. It was a child sized paddle. He obviously had zero idea how important having my own little child sized paddle was to me. Note my dad was cool. He was a tool and die maker. He knew the math and stuff. For Christmas he made for me and muy sistr little sample blocks of an inch by half an inch by half an inch mahogany, copper, stainless steel, oak, etc. etc. etc. with the name of each stamped into it. Titanium cutting tools. Things that had threads, ball bearings, etc. I value this gift a lot. Nobody else would at all ever. One day at a very young I sat on a tall stool and watched him work. It was a shop atmosphere possibly softened a bit for the children. That is how I knew how stuff in a shop worked. Eventually I too worked in a shop. That is where the money was for me. It really, really helped support my family. The ability to do even simple addition and subtraction scared everybody else away from simple jobs that paid a bit more. This made a big difference in my life. The simple ability to add and subtract to three places past that pesky decimal point made a huge difference in my life. Nobody else wanted to do this. It was like a secret job nobody else wanted. Previous to this some boss pulled me aside and made me a handy dandy chart. It showed the places smaller than the number one both in how to write it and how to call it such as .001 as I hope it is called one one thousandths. That simple chart saved me and my job. So with a teeny tiny bit of math I could hold a job that raised a family. From what I have seen at local Community Colleges that tiny bit of math for some students was tons beyond their ability or interest in learning. I have increased my employablity greatly since then. My math skills are still low level. Even low level, because I can add and subtract past the decimal point to three places, which is hardly rocket science and barely even math my skills are to them superfantastic to employers. Clearly everybody else must have massive negative math skills. To homeschoolers. Take note. Pretty much zero people will have any idea of math inculding the people hiring you. Just put something math on your resume and you are GOLD.

Some of my favorite people are tool and die makers. They are able to make the tools to make your job much easier. Plus the really good ones seem to live on 3rd shift where you don't need as much paper/engineering support...
Rich

Postby kmussack » 17 Aug 2017 01:36

Around 9:00 o'clock last night the phone rang.
It was our next door neighbor calling to say there was a fox circling our chicken run.
I stood post with a rifle for a while.
Then I went down to the coop where all the birds were inside and roosting.
I closed and latched the door shut securing them for the night.
I'll need to develop a plan to deal with this.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 17 Aug 2017 09:56

Ours are confined. Tractor. For the predation issue. Racoons and opossums here mostly. I imagine you have looked at solar door operators for the coop.

Regardless the time of year, we hustle the girls in at dusk and lock 'em down. We, like Rich, are going start a new group of ladies soon. We hope to eventually learn to stagger ages, instead of cycling out the whole crowd at once. The issue is determining who's laying and who's needing culled out. Age is not always a factor.

But the cacklers are my wifes domain, making my words here third-party hearsay. I just build what told. I don't even particularly care for eggs.
whls4legs

Postby kmussack » 17 Aug 2017 11:34

Until further notice I'll be locking the girls in each night.
I've gotten lazy and left the coop door open 24/7 counting on the run remaining secure.
I guess I can't do that.
I'll also set a Have-A-Heart tonight in an attempt to eliminate the threat.
But, there's always another fox waiting in the wings.
I might double down on the enclosure increasing the fencing from just poultry fabric to welded wire.
Don't know....still thinking.
kmussack

Postby Ekiwinox » 17 Aug 2017 21:37

Good neighbor. Let them know to feel free to call 24/7/365 with anything as you have a 24/7/365 household. I'd rather know.

If chicken wire is poultry fabric that is maybe to keep the chickens in not to keep the bad out.

Welded wire, like rabbit wire? Their might be different thicknesses of it.

Probably not news to anybody here but I have heard that submarines have as a back up, back up an outboard motor to attach somewhere when the submarine is above water. I don't know if that is true.

Our foxes all have mange and look like ugly dogs who settle in a strange cat like pose to look at you.
Me on phone with fox some distance away. "It's a dog. It's small, ugly dog that sits like a cat."

Hen houses I hear are handy to have a view of from a second floor bedroom window that opens.

Well when you think about it chickens are pretty much bait.

What the world really needs is a rooster that does not crow before 9 AM.

Also, guinea fowl that do not scream.

"still thinking"

This should be good.

I expect a multi prong and layers of the onion approach.

Possibly putting a few of another type of fowl in with the chickens.

Possibly trail cameras hooked up to something.

Are you thinking of uses for the fur? Furs?

Fox leaping over fence :20 to :20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImFI2ACZ5Z4
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 18 Aug 2017 03:53

While mowing the lawn last night I remember thinking how much I really didn't want to kill this fox.
When I was younger I was very different. It seems I have mellowed with age.
I can still do what's necessary without remorse but I'm no longer fond of it.
kmussack

PreviousNext

Return to Critters