And So It Begins......

Pets to Livestock to Varmints

Moderator: Morrigan

Re: And So It Begins......

Postby kmussack » 12 May 2017 01:55

Kolt wrote:...You may want to try a water level for getting the posts the same height. I've used it with great success in the past...

I'm familiar with the technique and considered it.
However, I'm working alone and the laser was easier than manning both ends of a hose.

Short story on the laser.
I had a $50 Amazon gift certificate and the laser was $85 so I bought it. (cheapest unit available)
I calibrated it per the instructions and it was within 1/8" at 50'. I was impressed.
Now I'll be on the lookout for applications.
When your only tool is a laser then every problem looks like a, ah, um.......
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 12 May 2017 05:42

whls4legs wrote:Very nice, and very grey to the casual observer/passerby.

The razor-tape perimeter fence and the high pressure sodium security lighting won't be but that's for another time.
;-)
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 12 May 2017 07:27

whls4legs wrote:...Your run looks like wolverine confinement....So, who's going to spring for the G29 pocket monster. You or Andy?

Way back in the early '90s I was visiting an friend in Nampa, Idaho.
While driving back to his cabin outside of town we passed his neighbor's place that had a pavilion out back with a double chain-link enclosure set under it.
I asked, "Does that guy train attack dogs or something?"

My buddy responded saying that the enclosure was for, yep you guessed it, wolverines.

The neighbor had written for and received a sizable federal grant to study the feasibility of artificially inseminating and raising wolverines.
He got enough money to build his house, the "lab" and live on for about five years.
When it was over he wrote a paper and concluded it wasn't a good idea.

Ref: G29
No thanks, I don't need a flinch machine.

kmussack

Postby kmussack » 14 May 2017 10:51

And the work continues.....
Here is what was accomplished yesterday.
This was made possible by the help of my Son Andy. We both worked very hard on this.
I put in another few hours today and got the man-door end covered with poultry mesh. A thunder storm drove me inside.
Here's a view of the skirt I'll staple to the turf and then cover up.
This project has taught me that someday the fate of Western Civilization may hinge on the availability of treated deck screws and zip-ties.
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 23 May 2017 16:30

With the approaching long holiday weekend I was intent upon completing the chicken run.
Well, I did it. Pretty much. I ran out of sod staples but I'll get a few more packs tomorrow.
The last step was putting 5-mil UV resistant greenhouse plastic on the roof. So I spread the plastic out on the lawn and got some help from my family and floated the plastic up onto the roof.
Then the plastic was stretched flat and fastened in place using wiggle wire and channel.
The plan is to harvest and store rain water runoff and use it to water the birds.
Now that the run is functionally complete I will shift focus to getting the garden planted.
kmussack

Previous

Return to Critters