C Pap Machine

Taking care of yourself and your crew

C Pap Machine

Postby Ekiwinox » 02 Jul 2017 22:48

A C Pap machine diagnosis was good for me because I was having to open the car windows to the cold air and slap my own face to stay awake when driving in the morning. The machine also allows a certain important person to share a room with me at night time instead of not even another bedroom as that was not even quiet enough to avoid the snoring.

It takes a few months for the brain to recover from the lack of sleep once a C Pap machine is put into use.

Tip: To get used to the machine wear it when online and awake.

When I put on the mask I fall asleep in 2... ... ... seconds.

I have no idea why an item that should be $19.99 at Costco costs $$$$$$$$.

I have zero idea why it is so large. It should be 1/8th the size.

Taking with one on vacation is Not Fun At All.

Instead of prongs that stick up one's nose there is a mask which is a soft pillow that sits lightly on the bottom of one's nose. It has a hole in it and the air lovingly goes into ones nose. Zero irritation.

Some machines have a container for water so the air will not be too dry.

Think dirty public pool.
Think dirty hot tub.
Think dirty puddle of water around a clogged drain.

The container of distilled water is supposed to be emptied every day and the container and the tubing and the masked washed every day and dried.

Out of one million people on C Pap machines does anybody do that?

Here is the issue. One can not simply wash the C Pap distilled water container. It is a container with 108 tiny areas that all need special cleaning. Special tools would be needed to reach all of the little crevices the inside of the C Pap water supply container has. Sort of like the brushes old time Norelco razors that were the commercial for Rudolph used to have. A brush to reach those teeny, tiny areas would add little scratches to the plastic and add areas for bacteria and slime to gain a foot hold. In this heat holding the just cleaned distilled water tank up to the light shows tiny little clouds of organisms. I imagine if I look really close I can read on the side of some "Legionnaires'" and on the side of others I hear Mary whispering "Typhoid".

There is a metal plate in these water storage containers. Nobody wants to tarnish them or get them pitted due to using the wrong chemical to clean the container.

I just attempted to serialize the water container using first hydrogen peroxide and then after a rinse isopropyl alcohol. Reaching into a zillion tricky angled corners is not what needs to happen for people who are usually older who need C Paps. This is not rocket science. I can see the plastic container needed to be designed not to break easily. Zero importance was given to the ease of cleaning the container of the water we breath into our lungs for eight hours.

I have zero idea why C Pap machines are not made with a water storage container that is easy to clean with one wipe of a cloth of a bowl shaped C Pap distilled water container. Water that needs to be very clean should not be put into a container with no ease of cleaning.

This whole $$$$$$$ process of testing to even get a machine that probably a majority of American's need at probably most people need the same exact setting is crazy. It is sort of like nobody can purchase or use a bar of soap until massive $$$$$$ tests have been take to see if they even can benefit from soap and then they can only purchase special $$$$$$ soap from special $$$$$$ soap places.

I need a C Pap, you need a C Pap, everybody needs a C Pap machine now.

A young child around here for maybe a 5th grade science fair swabbed store carriage handles and discovered most have a lot of fecal mater on them. Many stores here have wet wipes to clean the carriage handles.

Then there was the 5th? grade science fair project of how clean is the water one gets on a plane flight. Again with the fecal matter. Just say no unless water on a plane is from a bottle.

I need a 5th grader to test the water and the bio build up in the evaporated water in C Pap machines and put it in a science fair.

How hard is it to design an easy clean water bowl.

That is just the start of the topic.

More but later.
Ekiwinox

Re: C Pap Machine

Postby whls4legs » 03 Jul 2017 10:26

I have seen a machine that wll clean/sterilize the CPAP, with UV light I believe, (not positive). Like you would encounter in a water system. Unfortunately, I saw it on the TV, and have no idea the name or where to get one.

It appears you put the whole rig in it when needed (daily), close it up and turn it on. Next time I see the advert, I'll note the info and pass it on.

Neighbor uses one, not good about cleaning. Got sick. So.....
whls4legs

Postby kmussack » 03 Jul 2017 14:26

A friend of the wife was just here visiting.
She's a new CPAP user.....she raves about the positive effects.
Primarily here blood pressure is back down to normal levels after only a few nights with her CPAP.
We could all possibly benefit from one of these contraptions......but I'm not keen on the idea.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 03 Jul 2017 22:35

kmussack wrote:
We could all possibly benefit from one of these contraptions......

If we all used one they would indeed be $19.99. Amazon. As well as smaller, simpler, cleaner. Much more user friendly.
I can see it, however. Even if you didn't get more sleep, what you got would be better sleep.
whls4legs

Postby Java MS » 03 Jul 2017 23:14

I have used CPAP for over 15 years now. If you need one, nothing else works. If you don't need one, you should not use one. I got used to sleeping with it immediately and the benefits were astounding. And now, my wife has one and my son has one. You go to sleep quickly but the important thing is that you stay asleep in REM. Without the CPAP, I was waking up and returning to sleep over 500 times per night. Most of those times were only waking enough to start breathing again. Obstructive sleep apnea is what it's called. Snoring is a symptom. I have been compared to an angry bear. My wife ... let's not talk about what she sounds like. When the church youth group came back from a trip, one of the girls told me that Mr. T kept her awake with his snoring. I asked why she was sleeping around him and she said that she was in the next room. Sometimes it is severe. TSA knows what the machine looks like. I carry mine on-board and check most other stuff.And I have a 12 Volt DC plug and a battery and solar panel for when the power is out or I am camping.

Rule number 1: Don't run out of water! It smells bad if you run out of water. For a long time after you put more water in, it smells bad.
Rule number 2: Cleaning can be done in a dishwasher. That is the water reservoir. It should separate into two pieces and go into the top rack. Short cycle is best.
Rule number 3: Don't clean with strong or fragrant cleaners. Think "Do I want to smell this all night?". My mother-in-law cleaned my father-in-law's reservoir with Clorox bleach once. He did not like that.

Cleaning hoses is a simple matter of rinsing with warm, soapy water and then rinse multiple times. See rule 3 above.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Java MS

Postby Java MS » 03 Jul 2017 23:26

I forgot one thing. Make sure that the on/off switch is protected. My wife kept finding her CPAP running during the day. She figured out what was happening one night when her machine went off. She woke up and reached for the switch to turn it on and found the cat sitting on the switch.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Java MS

Postby whls4legs » 11 Jul 2017 09:42

Eki. Found the CPAP cleaner. Might be a joke, don't know. So much stuff is crap.

Anyway, SoClean.com.
whls4legs

Postby whls4legs » 11 Jul 2017 09:54

Side note. Need is relative. If you lack the specific ailment coded to justify a CPAP, (OSA), yet the machine affords much better sleep, you should be able to have one.

Sleep is a huge health issue. Nobody gets enough, and what we do get can be less than adequate.

And the ones I've seen, neighbor has a new one, could easily be knocked off in China for 19.95 at WM or the big boxers.
whls4legs

Postby Java MS » 13 Jul 2017 00:28

whls4legs wrote:Side note. Need is relative. If you lack the specific ailment coded to justify a CPAP, (OSA), yet the machine affords much better sleep, you should be able to have one. ...

The CPAP does not make you sleep better. IF you have obstructive sleep apnea, you quit breathing during sleep. This causes you to "wake up", not completely but enough to open your airway so you can breath and then you fall asleep again. Then the process repeats. An "episode" is when the breathing stops for 10 seconds. When I was tested, I had over 500 episodes in 7 hours. With CPAP, I have maybe 10 episodes per night. If you don't have obstructive sleep apnea, CPAP will not help you sleep, and could damage your lungs. Think about a vacuum cleaner in reverse. Put the hose over your nose and flip the switch on. It's kind of like that.

Sleep apnea contributed to the death of Reggie White of the Green Bay Packers. He was not sleeping well (sleep apnea caused that) so he took a sedative to stay asleep. He had a heart attack during an episode and died. It's a serious disease. CPAP keeps you breathing so you can stay asleep and wake up.
Java MS

Return to Medical and Health