Joe Teti Correction

Techniques, Procedures, Experiences

Moderator: Pilgrim52

Joe Teti Correction

Postby Pilgrim52 » 16 Jan 2017 20:57

Just to clarify, I like Dual Survival. I liked it better before they started switching out the lead roles. I do not like Joe Teti at all for reasons too numerous to list but to mention one, he really does not possess much knowledge or skills in the field of wilderness survival (his enormous ego not withstanding). I recently watched an old rerun called Swamplandia in which he and Matt Graham (whom I do respect) were lost in the swampy areas of southern Georgia. Many pine trees grow there producing lumber, telephone poles and turpentine. Joe Teti did a teaching segment on lighter pine as a natural firestarter. He would have been all right had he confined himself to saying it's a good firestarter and this is what it looks like and it smells like Pine-Sol and this is how you use it. But no, he had to keep talking as if he knew what he was pontificating about. Leading the cameraman to a dead pine maybe 20' tall and 4"-5" in diameter apparently killed by a fire since it was burned 3/4 through, he proceeded to explain that the pine sap inside the tree had been pulled down by gravity after the tree died and was concentrated in the stump. It is obvious that he studied neither physics nor botany in school or he would not have uttered such nonsense. Sap in any plant be it grass or trees rises through capillary action in only one direction, up. The laws of physics governing the action of liquids in extremely narrow diameter tubes will not allow retrograde motion of that liquid inside a tree. (getting water from a vine by cutting high and low is a different matter in that vine tubules are relatively large and when the tubes are open at both ends, air can enter the top allowing the watery sap to flow down and out. In a tree, both ends are not open even if the trunk is snapped off.) The reason lighter pine (AKA pitchwood, torchwood, Indian Kerosene, fatwood, pine knot, etc) is often found in the stump is because the roots, which produce the pine sap, cannot think and have no way of knowing the upper part of the tree is dead. So they just continue to produce sap which flows up until it can't go up anymore. At that point, the sapwood becomes saturated and cannot accept more. Capillary action stops then and the roots die. Something similar happens when a branch is snapped off. The sap continues to flow into the branch up to the break. Some of it drips out, and eventually, the flow stops leaving saturated sapwood that ages into lighter pine. I have found many such sap soaked dead branches sticking out of fallen pines. They are easy to pull out of the fallen trunk and burn hot and fast. The viewer (me, anyway) was left with the impression that all dead pines are full of resinous sapwood. Hardly. It depends on how the tree died. A healthy tree cut down in it's prime will produce a lot of it, virtually the entire sapwood portion of the stump given enough time. A sick, insect ravaged, drought stricken or diseased tree will produce little. But gravity does not and cannot "Pull Down" pine sap into the stump and anyone not experienced in the wild places might think from listening to this sorry excuse for a skilled woodsman that every dead pine tree is filled with it. Where he got such an idea is beyond me, but it has no basis in reality. Not even in "Reality" TV. :P
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Re: Joe Teti Correction

Postby Kolt » 23 Mar 2017 10:09

Pilgrim,

That is just one interesting incident with Mr. Teti.

Here are a few more:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=joe+teti+myke ... cal&ia=web

The plot thickens.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby Pilgrim52 » 30 Mar 2017 20:09

Wow. He is one unpopular dude. (and there are a LOT of strange people out there commenting...)
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby kmussack » 12 Sep 2017 11:06

I was a Door Gunner on the Space Shuttle.
I'd show you my DD214 but it's all classified and shit.
My 201 file is kept in a vault in the basement of the Pentagon.
There's stuff I could tell you, but then......you know. I'd have to kill you.
Angelina kicked Brad to the curb hoping I'd come back to her.
Oh wait I gotta take this call...."Yes Mr. President?"
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Pilgrim52 » 12 Sep 2017 18:33

kmussack wrote:I was a Door Gunner on the Space Shuttle.
I'd show you my DD214 but it's all classified and shit.
My 201 file is kept in a vault in the basement of the Pentagon.
There's stuff I could tell you, but then......you know. I'd have to kill you.
Angelina kicked Brad to the curb hoping I'd come back to her.

Good Grief! You must actually KNOW him personally!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby Kolt » 12 Sep 2017 18:34

Must have taught him everything he knows...and then some :).
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby Kolt » 12 Sep 2017 18:41

kmussack wrote:

So, a story to go with this.

I'm sure everyone is aware of caller ID spoofing and how to do it. Sometimes it is good for a laugh.

So this one unnamed individual is trying to show off and has someone call him on his personal cell and it simple states "White House". Caller ID spoofing of course.

A buddy of mine knew what was going on and after the call is over with whatever the unnamed guy said to the "white house" my buddy caller ID spoofed him with NSA.

The unnamed guy answers and my buddy, spoofing the NSA, tells him that he has been put on a watch list for the next 18 months and to stop screwing around.

The look on his face was priceless.

I don't think anyone ever told him the truth.

The games we used to play in the Infantry. Good old days.

I just thought I'd share.

Take care,
K
Kolt

Return to Wilderness Survival