Vikingfest 2010

Event planning and reporting

Moderator: mosby's men

Vikingfest 2010

Postby Joe » 03 Mar 2010 11:37

Vikingfest 2010

Just go to this link and register/pay: http://drupal.vikingpreparedness.com/?q=node/42

We are limiting the event to 100 people so when you sign up at the link - send me a PM and tell me how many are coming in your party.

If kids - send ages too, please.

I will start accepting "non-vikings" on May 1. If you are reading this but not registered and a Viking in good standing - don't sign up before 1 May. If you do and I have to paypal the money back because we are full - It'll cost ya $15 handling fee - so just wait. Or sign up.

Thanks and I'll see ya out there.

EDIT
Details for those just coming in:
All right good Vikings - mark your calendars, put in for leave, make travel arrangements - VikingFest 2010 is on!

Details

Date: Thursday, 12 August through Sunday, 15 August Check in anytime Thursday be gone by 4pm Sunday

Location: Within 90 minutes of Kansas City, large private campground with rustic bathrooms and showers.

Accomodations: Whatever you bring - camper, tent, tarp. The area is mostly open with some scrubby woods. You may want to bring dining flies and tarps to make shade and rain protection for groups to eat, have class etc. No hook ups. Water available but you have to walk or drive to it.

Cost: $50 per vehicle - It's $50 per vehicle whether they come for one hour, one day or all four days. If you bring a bus full of people we will adjust this rate

Purpose: To gather as a community of families to exchange knowledge, make friends and share preparedness culture/lifestyle with others.

This is not a BDUs and guns type event. I will likely be wearing shorts and an aloha shirt

This is a FAMILY oriented event - keep that in mind and conduct yourselves accordingly

Here are classes we have volunteer teachers for:

First Aid .....a_dblu(PI), Morrigan (AI)
CPR .....a_dblu, Morrigan (AI)
Fire Extinguisher .....a_dblu
Fire Control .....a_dblu
Knots .....a_dblu (assist)
Vehicle Recovery .....Missourian (PI), Campo (AI)
Ham Radio/ Commo .....OzarkGal (PI), Mosby's Men (AI)
Communication .....OzarkGal
Dutch Oven Cooking .....Jeepwidow
Stick Fighting .............Mosby's Men (PI), Joe (AI)
Shelter Construction.................Campo
BOV.............................Campo
Bow Drill Fire..........Pilgrim52
Compass Course.......Pilgrim52
Bullet Casting......Copperhead
Reloading...........Copperhead
Trapping.........AK47
Edible Plant Walk.........Morrigan
Goat Milking..........Morrigan
Cordage making...............Joe
Children's "Lost Proofing".......Joe
Hand vs Gun, Knife............Joe
Honey Production/Medical uses.....Ron

Here are classes that folks have expressed interest in having for which we need instructors:

Self Defense
Butchering
Grain storage
Canning
Fishing
LP/OP

For those of you who plan on attending:

1. What are you willing to teach?
If you sign up to teach, you are required to bring everything you need to conduct your class.
If students need to bring something - you need to let me know so I can inform them.
If it's "hard to get" and they "need it" you may have to buy it and be reimbursed - in that case you need to work out the details with me far in advance. I'd like to avoid this option.....
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Re: Vikingfest 2010 Classes

Postby mosby's men » 03 Mar 2010 12:37

i will do stick fighting , can i get a assit from joe ? have to be able to break down to managable group ,cant do 30 people at one time.

i will assist ozark gal on the ham classes if she wants me to . ham and comms should probally be a single one hour class .

how about a class on setting up a lp/op we could staff them for a few hours after dark ,good training for people who have never done it .
2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Postby Campo » 03 Mar 2010 12:43

I can do shelter construction...

Im also availible for BOV :-)
Campo

Postby Missourian » 03 Mar 2010 15:11

I'd be interested in teaching these with or without help. I do have some questions as to what is to be taught.

Butchering?

Hands on butchering a chicken, hog, or wild game like a deer or just the discussion in general?

Fishing?

What does the consinsus want to know? I am very experienced in this and could do it or talk about it for hours.

Fly Fishing for Trout or Bluegil /Sunfish?

Rod & Reel fishing for Bass, Crappie, Walleye, Pike, Catfish, Bluegill /Sunfish?

Noodeling for Flathead Catfish?

Bankline or Trotlineing?

Cane pole fishing?

How about Snapping and Softshell Turtles? Yum!

:?:
I am the Båtsmann and together we prepare: "Make a Plan" - "Build a Kit" - "Get Trained" - "Get Involved In Your Local Government" - Remember: "A FAILURE TO PREPARE IS PREPARING TO FAIL!"
Missourian
Viking Moderator

Postby Pilgrim52 » 03 Mar 2010 19:17

I have the strangest feeling that nobody is going to be particularly upset if I grab the bowdrill friction firemaking class before they can. :roll: :mrgreen: The way I usually do it is, I supply MOST of the materials, and after the basics are explained and demonstrated, I send the class out into the woods to gather and construct the remainder of the set which we will then use in the practical application phase of the class. Each student gets to keep the set they construct. There will be no charge for materials, HOWEVER..... if anyone would like to donate a couple of bucks to the VikingFest general operating fund for defrayment of costs, no one will object. I will try to keep this class within two hours.

Also, I can teach a basic compass navigation course. Several years ago, I bought a compass instruction course materials set which contains about 25 baseplate compasses and other instructional resources for teaching basic navagation skills to our Boy Scout troop, so I already have the materials and students need not bring anything. (although you are certainly welcome to bring your own compass if you wish and we will show you how to use it.) I envision a class lasting about 45 min in which students will learn the different kinds of compasses, their nomenclature and practical use, distance estimation using pace counts, shooting azimuths, etc.I don't think we can do more than a general overview of maps due to the difficulty and expense of obtaining enough maps for each student and lack of time for instruction. (When I was an infantry scout, I spent a week learning navigation by map and compass followed by a long OJT to develop skill. And I STILL got confused occasionally!) After the basic class, I will have the students practice what they've learned on a short compass course with four or five starting points and no more than three legs. A 100 yard pace measurement station will also be made available. This class will require a minimum of two hours.
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby Copperhead » 03 Mar 2010 19:26

I would be happy to do the bullet casting and reloading classes. I want to do it NOT because I'm an expert, I'm not. I want everybody to know how easy it CAN be. Ammnunition and reloading components may be hard to come by in the future; hence, NOW is the time to prepare.
Copperhead
Iron Viking

Postby Missourian » 03 Mar 2010 22:44

Copperhead wrote:I would be happy to do the bullet casting and reloading classes. I want to do it NOT because I'm an expert, I'm not. I want everybody to know how easy it CAN be. Ammnunition and reloading components may be hard to come by in the future; hence, NOW is the time to prepare.

Are you looking to do the Reloading class too?

On another note will the "LORD OF THE WIRE" (ARENZAEL) be teaching the BOB class again this year? Someone leaning over my shoulder wants to know ;) ... that and something about a KILT :? .
I am the Båtsmann and together we prepare: "Make a Plan" - "Build a Kit" - "Get Trained" - "Get Involved In Your Local Government" - Remember: "A FAILURE TO PREPARE IS PREPARING TO FAIL!"
Missourian
Viking Moderator

Postby Copperhead » 04 Mar 2010 19:45

Yes, using the Lee Reloader; however, if someone else wants to do it, that's fine with me.

Missourian wrote:
Copperhead wrote:I would be happy to do the bullet casting and reloading classes. I want to do it NOT because I'm an expert, I'm not. I want everybody to know how easy it CAN be. Ammnunition and reloading components may be hard to come by in the future; hence, NOW is the time to prepare.

Are you looking to do the Reloading class too?

On another note will the "LORD OF THE WIRE" (ARENZAEL) be teaching the BOB class again this year? Someone leaning over my shoulder wants to know ;) ... that and something about a KILT :? .
Copperhead
Iron Viking

Postby Missourian » 04 Mar 2010 20:07

Nope, I was looking forward to it. ;)

I've bought all the equipment and supplies. I haven't reloaded since before I joined the Navy (1987) so I was looking for a refresher. I am fairly adept at reading and doing a self paced learning thing like with most things. But, this one can get you hurt or worse so, I was looking forward to some reloading training.
Missourian
Viking Moderator

Postby Charley » 07 Mar 2010 10:33

I'm new to the forum and feel really inadequate up against you folks:) However, if someone would like me to help with a canning class, I'd be happy to help. I have been canning meats for about a year now and it has really made a difference in preparing pantry meals quickly. I'm not an expert at anything, but as I said, I could help if someone wanted me to.

I often take a class at Burr Oak Woods, Blue Springs, MO on wild edibles. They have a group of folks there that they refer to as "The Wild Ones". They put out a wonderful book called "Eat Your Weedies". These ladies are SO good and the classes are exceptional. Really hoping someone steps up to teach about wild edibles.

SO looking forward to this.
Charlene
Charley

Next

Return to Linkups