A SAFE RIFLE

Anthing that lengthens or strengthens one's sphere of defense / offense

A SAFE RIFLE

Postby kmussack » 08 Oct 2017 06:51

Living in a jurisdiction with the strictest gun laws in the nation presents some challenges to those of us who choose to remain well armed while avoiding felonious acts.

The New York State "SAFE ACT" banned certain firearms by cosmetic features. Simply, a semiautomatic rifle that accepts a detachable magazine may not include any of the following;

a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously below the receiver
a threaded muzzle
a flash suppressor, muzzle brake or grenade launcher
a bayonet lug
a folding or collapsible stock

Worst of all the New York State "SAFE ACT" completely outlaws any magazine with a capacity greater than 10-rounds.

There are several "solutions" or "work-arounds".

This is mine;

Having already complied with NYS gun laws limiting all but the pistol grip I had an AR configured without a flash suppressor etc. The NYS "SAFE ACT" added the pistol grip to the forbidden feature list.

My compliance solution was to replace the AR lower with an ARES Fightlite lower.

This reconfigured the rifle to a more conventional look and also lowered the sight line to a place much closer to the bore reducing the mechanical offset so common to ARs. I tried to keep my original optics and iron sights by mounting an adjustable cheek piece. This wasn't at all comfortable so I lowered the optics and it's now a glove like fit, ergonomically.

My choice of optics is the Leupold Mark AR Mod-1 1.5-4x20mm scope with illuminated FIREDOT SPR reticle zeroed at 100-yards.
This is a mil-mil scope with external adjustment knobs. The elevation knob is marked with ranges (200 meters, 250 meters, 300 meters, 400 meters, 450 meters, 500 meters, 550 meters, 600 meters, 650 meters) The upper includes a 17-inch 1:7 twist stainless steel barrel. Using 77-grain match ammunition this rifle will reliably print sub moa groups, hot or cold and the rounds track the dial close enough for government work. The illuminated dot on the reticle allows accurate sighting during periods of "limited visibility".

My original upper included a flip-up front sight and base which includes a section of Pic-Rail. I have retained this because that's where the Surefire X400 weapon's light w/visible laser are mounted.

The laser is zeroed/co-witnessed at 100-yards. I have an IR filter for the white light and a neutral density optical filter for the laser for use with NVGs if required. This pretty much sums up the "Gee-gaws" on this rifle.

I've laid in a substantial supply of Magpul 10-round magazines to support this platform.

In the movie We Were Soldiers Sam Elliot playing the part of SGM Basil L. Plumley was asked by LTC Moore;
I think you oughta get yourself an M-16.

SGM Plumley replied;
Time comes I need one, there'll be plenty lying on the ground.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: A SAFE RIFLE

Postby Kolt » 08 Oct 2017 09:42

Where there is a will, there is a way. Great setup.

I like where you're attempting to go with the night adaptions. Too many people have what I term 'daylight' weapons.

Without a flash hider, I'd test out your ammo in the dark to see what kind of flash you get and if it will engage the auto-shut off feature of your NVGs (if your NVGs has that to protect the intensifier tubes).

If it is an issue, you may try to get some Black Hills 77 MK262 MOD 1 with the flash retardant powder...or roll your own. It might diminish the flash, but I don't know how much.
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby mosby's men » 08 Oct 2017 10:00

i like that stock i might pick one up .
i can not belive they are afraid of a muzzle break
2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Postby mosby's men » 08 Oct 2017 12:54

wow they are proud of that stock , since i dont have to do that im not paying that kind of money .
it is a shame i would have liked one at a reasonable price .
2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Postby kmussack » 13 Oct 2017 13:14

The leaves are at their peak, the geese are flocking up and the days are short and cool. This means that indoor shooting season is swiftly approaching.

I'm able to configure my NY SAFE rifle to fire with a .22 Rimfire sub-caliber kit.

I had to modify the kit slightly to be compatible with my new lower receiver. It can now operate in either my NY SAFE rifle or a conventional AR platform.

My indoor range is a measured 40-feet, target face to muzzle. With a 100-yard zero on the rifle this results in a Point of Impact (POI) which is approximately 1- 3/4" below the Point of Aim (POA).

The scope has external adjustment knobs which would make adjusting POA to coincide with POI if I wish.

The laser paints the target at 40-feet approximately 2" below the POI.

Close enough for Government Work.

With quality ammunition and a clean sub-caliber kit functioning is excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbzqVOfTJ8

As shown in a previous image the combination will shoot into one ragged hole at 40-feet leaving little question as to the reason for a miss.

A .22 RF sub-caliber kit is a great training tool and can be a lot of fun as well.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Return to Weaponry