Wanna have some fun?

Postby Joe » 23 Nov 2016 08:51

Type into Google images: vehicle survival kit
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Re: Wanna have some fun?

Postby Kolt » 23 Nov 2016 13:20

Interesting.

Maybe I'll pull my assortment out of the truck tool box in the back of the CUCV and see how mine compares.

Just from my initial review of the images, I know I have a lot more items related to field expedient fixes to actually be able to drive out. After all, this is a survival kit for the vehicle, not me...right? :)

My CUCV has its own BOK as does my primary weapon. Nothing like quick repairs to get you back up and running.

At work, we recently went though a week long PMT event with OEX (Overland Experts). It was educational in off-road driving more related to getting from point A to the mission objective, completing the mission, and getting back. There wasn't a lot of recreational 4x4 information involved.

They had their preferred methods of recovery and field expedient fixes. Some I knew, some I didn't so I did learn more than a few things.

The course was put together rather well and they had a few lists to consolidate key concepts to ensure the student was paying attention instead of taking notes and missing out on what was said.

Of course, in my mind I was identifying how much of what they were instructing would apply to a BOV and the ensuing trip from point A to a BOL.

Thanks for the exercise Joe.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby Joe » 24 Nov 2016 08:55

I think that is the outfit my buddy Travis trained with. He was CA at Bragg (and down range of course)
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby NorthernExplorer » 28 Nov 2016 13:35

I checked out those images on Google.
I didn't see any of them with a come-along?

I travel to areas that are 200miles away from the nearest person and I don't think I'd ever venture out without that equipment.
NorthernExplorer

Postby Joe » 28 Dec 2016 09:26

I saw some but I looked at a lot of pics.
come along = poor man's winch.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby tatergator » 28 Dec 2016 15:05

come alongs are a fencer's best friend. No, not the guy holding an epee, but a guy who builds fences. :P

They were invaluable while fencing along ridges or in the back country, especially when pickups can't go there.

Just food for thought. :D
"Behavior is interpreted through personal perspectives." ~ Bobby Hoffman, PhD
tatergator

Postby Dwills2 » 30 Dec 2016 20:22

Wheres the Jack, jack stands?
No blankets or Lights?
No First Aid?

These all seems like either, tons of back seat Mag pouches or flare/warning light kits.
I always try to keep stuff that will keep me alive if i get caught in a snow storm for a day or two, or get stuck in a ditch during the night on the highway. Plus a few basic survival tools.
"The future is wonderful, for it stands on what has already been achieved"
Dwills2

Postby tatergator » 31 Dec 2016 00:10

Isn't Alaska more or less, Mecca for survivalist, preppers, and homesteaders? I'd be shocked if I found an Alaskan who lived like someone from south Los Angeles or Miami. lol
"Behavior is interpreted through personal perspectives." ~ Bobby Hoffman, PhD
tatergator

Postby Dwills2 » 05 Jan 2017 19:22

tatergator wrote:Isn't Alaska more or less, Mecca for survivalist, preppers, and homesteaders? I'd be shocked if I found an Alaskan who lived like someone from south Los Angeles or Miami. lol

I guess, but getting caught in bad weather and stuck in your truck seems like it wld be the same in the Heartland states as it would in Alaska.
"The future is wonderful, for it stands on what has already been achieved"
Dwills2

Postby Rich » 28 Jan 2017 17:27

Due to all of the rain and the normal early-spring mud, my truck has been buried for the last week. It's also connected to a trailer... So today I brought in my backup truck with the portable-hitch-mounted-winch and drug it the 20' back to solid ground.

Have I done this before with a come-along or chainfall? Yes but it's ridiculously painful. About the 3rd or 4th time you do that you'll start pricing out winches. I think I paid around $500. Eight uses later I converted it to synthetic line to save my back (went from 90 lb or something down to about 60). If you are working in mud a lot, get a winch. My recommendation is the cheaper product-line made by Warn. Having it in a cradle means I can keep it from getting stolen and rusty and move it from front to back or to another vehicle when I get stuck towing a trailer and can't go forward.
Rich

Return to BoV