Cheap stuck in the mud kit.

Bug Out Vehicles - what goes in them and how to employ them

Moderator: Missourian

Cheap stuck in the mud kit.

Postby Cajun Sheepdog » 14 Mar 2016 21:00

We have plenty of opportunities (and often do) to get stuck in the mud here in Louisiana with all the bayou's and swamps. I learned along time ago, to keep a kit that will get your vehicle unstuck from the mud. So we use a simple kit to get us out. All you need is a shovel, boat anchor (the kind with blades not grappling hook) tow strap and a come-along (cheap simple hand winch) Each cost about 15 to 20 dollars. If you have a big heavy vehicle, you may think about ensuring they're heavy duty.

It's simple, once your stuck in the mud, take your tow strap and secure it to your vehicle and then walk to the other end of the tow strap. Then take your come-along (hand winch) and attach it to the end of the tow strap and unwind the come-along all the way out. Once you are at the end of both your tow strap and come-along, take your boat anchor and attach it to the come-along, then stick the boat anchor blades into the mud. If the ground is too hard, then use your shovel and dig a hole to place the anchor blade into. Once the boat anchor is anchored in place, start cranking on the come-along winch and pull your vehicle out. Simple!

Hope this helps...CS
Last edited by Cajun Sheepdog on 16 Mar 2016 20:51, edited 2 times in total.
Cajun Sheepdog

Re: Cheap stuck in the mud kit.

Postby Java MS » 16 Mar 2016 09:38

Good set up for gumbo too. I need to get my come-along out of storage.

If you have trees around you might want a tree protecting strap too.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Java MS

Postby Joe » 16 Mar 2016 19:32

poor man's winch.
Yep
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby kmussack » 17 Mar 2016 05:43

Come-Along Story:

Years ago I was working the Boat Show at the Javits center in NYC.
One morning before opening the place was swarming with cops.
A huge outboard motor was missing.
They eventually found it hidden in the roof trusses suspended on a come-along.
The weight limit of the come-along was exceeded.
A sword of Damaclese is you will.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Rich » 02 Apr 2016 03:39

I got my truck stuck 6 or 7 times at our current place when building. Using a come-along or chainfall was incredibly time-consuming and tiring.

I have since gone to this route instead:
Front hitch mount
Winch cradle
Warn's generic winch
Make up temporary connections using forklift anderson connectors

This has worked exceptionally well. There is some expense but I worked last night at putting a front hitch on the wife's truck (recently replaced the minivan with 4x4 capability). So for the cost of a front hitch ($100) and a bit of welding cable I will have her truck winch-capable.

Was in the back woods last week. Without the winch I would have been very worried. Thankfully better tires and dry conditions helped me out to where I didn't need it.
Rich

Postby Joe » 02 Apr 2016 07:52

Winch cradles and the ability to move winch front to back are very useful
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby Cajun Sheepdog » 04 Apr 2016 12:49

I agree, your setup would be nice to have mounted on the vehicle. I still like the portability (light weight)/transferability and the unique anchor (boat anchor in the ground if there's no tree around) of our kit. The original cheap kit can be placed in a duffle bag and moved from one vehicle to another in the event your truck is broken, out of gas etc. It may take you more than one vehicle to get to your destination. It does take longer, but you're still able to get out.

CS
Cajun Sheepdog

Return to BoV