Ideas to get the kiddies wrenching

Bug Out Vehicles - what goes in them and how to employ them

Moderator: Missourian

Ideas to get the kiddies wrenching

Postby Rich » 14 Jun 2015 15:55

My youngest boy has an interest in taking things apart and learning however it is hard to get him involved in helping me when I am working on vehicles. Finally today I had an idea. Six years ago my folks gave me the old 1970ish Snapper riding mower which lasted until a friend trashed the drive disc starting out in high gear (despite being told otherwise). I haven't had time to fix it so it has sat in a corner of my shop for 4 years or more. So today my boy and I dragged it out and fired it up. I ran the engine empty of gas before I put it up so it ran although it had a few misses. Then we changed the oil and found the part online and ordered it. Also washed the entire thing and cleaned it up a bit with engine degreaser and old rags. Already told him he can use it to cut grass if we get it fixed which I think doable.

Big win for getting the kid involved in fixing mechanical stuff. This may be even better than the go-kart idea I keep trying to pitch to him and his siblings. This would get him helping us mow and I think he is about the age to where he can cut grass supervised.
Rich

Re: Ideas to get the kiddies wrenching

Postby Joe » 18 Jun 2015 19:24

What I did was tell all my kids, "I will pay for half of your first car".
They all bought cheap cars.
I insured them. That's it.
They had to maintain them. They could not afford to take them to mechanics so they learned to wrench.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby Rich » 25 Jun 2015 19:30

Good advice, thanks!
Rich

Postby Rich » 30 Apr 2016 08:46

Recently bought a beater Toyota 4x4 with 262k miles. My 2 oldest helped me replace all the seals (except rear main) which included a timing belt job. Also welded up a rear bumper for it. Then did all 4 brakes.

Thankfully they are not yet driving but at least they have a basic understanding of the mechanics of a car.
Rich

Postby Ekiwinox » 30 Apr 2016 23:38

Rich your original post is like a perfect fathers day for the two of you. That is exactly what it is all about. My mowing safety precautions are mow hills up and down not sideways, ear protection, eye protection, breath no dust protection. Tiny percentage of children get to have a dad as good as you who teaches them special, important stuff in a one to one relationship with each child. Those you teach are going to know how to make the car work for them not the other way around. Your teaching is very valuable. I can hear those you teach in the future repeating what they heard you teach them about cars as good teachings and advice to share.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Return to BoV