Exciting tip for repeat flat tires

Bug Out Vehicles - what goes in them and how to employ them

Moderator: Missourian

Exciting tip for repeat flat tires

Postby Rich » 03 May 2015 07:56

I often use my riding mower as a bush hog, taking it into tall weeds and cutting thorny vines. As a result the tires always stay flat. Have tried slime and other shelf fixes. After some research I found this stuff called "High Lifter Products Hlp Pro Series Tire Sealant". The cheapest price is here:
http://www.motoparthub.com/PSTS_32_HIGHLIFTER_Hlp_Pro_Series_Tire_Sealant_32_Oz_Bottle?src=Google&gclid=CjwKEAjwjpeqBRCDiKqliK2aiicSJAAgKD2FH2icP0vnw0KsWdsUtcgzwKl_MDNPxYf7YN8zwSw-LhoC0gvw_wcB

At $13.10 per bottle (and you need half a bottle per lawnmower tire) it isn't cheap but I was ready to foam-fill the tires which is ridiculously expensive. Lot of hunters also use this in the woods. I had to let all the air out of the tires, then push half the bottle in, put the needle valve back in, and air up the tire. Already I've used the mower 3 times without having to add air.

It does warn against putting it in on-road vehicles due to risk of imbalancing the tire. However, in a disaster scenario like a hurricane where there are nails and screws all over the roads this would be a cheap way to keep your BOV going. I ordered the minimum of 6 to get free shipping so I now have 1 per BOV-tire. In event of a hurricane where I need to use the truck I'll add it just before I take it on the road (while I have a compressor to air up the vehicle).

Add'l background: seals punctures up to 1/2" in the tread and up to 1/4" in the sidewall. Website is here for more info:
http://www.highlifter.com/p-352-high-lifter-pro-series-tire-sealant-32-oz-bottle.aspx
For demonstrations, the company nails multiple tires into a tire that never goes flat.
Rich

Re: Exciting tip for repeat flat tires

Postby Ekiwinox » 03 May 2015 20:30

That was a unique post Rich. Yes, it is underestimated how much nails and such will bother tires and footwear. I nominate you to be the followup vehicle in the caravan fixing on the fly or deciding which group vehicles to abandon. However I suspect you would be more valuable at the front selecting the best route. The one with the least nails.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby Rich » 12 Aug 2016 18:34

Update on this stuff. It remains the absolute best! Since that day I only do a pre-season top-off when I change the oil in the mower.
Rich

Postby Rich » 03 Sep 2017 18:38

My tractor got a flat the other day from briars and I put a whole bottle in. Aired it up and ran it. No problems since!
Rich

Return to BoV