ZipGripGo (zip tie emergency tire traction device)

Bug Out Vehicles - what goes in them and how to employ them

Moderator: Missourian

ZipGripGo (zip tie emergency tire traction device)

Postby WagionAK » 26 Feb 2015 13:11

One time use item so not really my thing for my vehicle...but then I started thinking about travel and people that kinda sort of want to be prepared. For travel they would be great throw them in a suitcase and might help your rental car if you get stuck in a snow storm someplace. It has happened to me more than once and buying a set of tire cables for a rental car sucks you have to buy a tire size specific set. Then what do you do with them haul them home and try to sell them, give them away, throw them away?

I know there are post of here about tire chains and cables and even how surprisingly well a front wheel drive car can do off road. Depending on price and weight this might be something for a Bug out Bag. For me when traveling they might be worth it front wheel drive rental car just got a boost as to what can do and where can go. For the right price I think I am going to buy a set and play with them, heck if it saves you one time in a pinch they would be worth it. (Yes I know about using rope on tire for traction and I have done it in the past but when it is dark, really really cold and your car is just stuck a little bit these seem like a much better idea)

Site says $20 for 12 cleats would think that number would drop once (if) they catch on. I posted the link three time because I always have trouble clicking on links from here on my phone thought it might make it easier.

http://www.zipgripgo.com/howitworks.html

WagionAK

Re: ZipGripGo (zip tie emergency tire traction device)

Postby Rich » 01 Mar 2015 13:52

I would buy them! My truck is stuck right now due to the mud/snow/ice/rain mixture currently on my yard. I could get it unstuck but not without tearing up the yard. Better to wait for drier conditions, particularly since I don't need to unload at the moment, anyway.

FYI, these aren't for steel rims which is all I have... sorry, they won't help this guy...
"Easy to install, ZipGripGo fits most cars, SUV's and pick ups (up to 22" rims) and installs in minutes. For alloy and aluminum rims (not recommended for old style steel rims)."
Rich

Postby sinjar » 03 Mar 2015 17:56

Those things are pretty slick! Unfortunately I have steel rims on my truck. I'm assuming the steel can cut them under torque maybe? I can think of two times those might have helped get me unstuck. Both times I ended up getting pulled out (thankfully I always have a tow strap) . It's an ingenious idea.
sinjar

Postby WagionAK » 05 Mar 2015 02:35

If you don't have tire chains or cables keep some 3/8 nylon rope in your vehicle. Do the same thing as the ZipGripGo but with rope either tie loops of rope through each opening in rim or thread rope around tire. It is amazing how much extra traction it will give you.
WagionAK

Postby sinjar » 05 Mar 2015 04:56

thanks wagionak! I keep a 100ft coil of rope in the truck tool box, hopefully I won't need it but if I do....
sinjar

Postby Modestia » 05 Mar 2015 14:11

Wow, those are cool. They would be more likely be used for mud traction rather than snow in my neck of the desert. Cool stuff.
"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw..."
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Modestia

Return to BoV