NATO gas cans

Bug Out Vehicles - what goes in them and how to employ them

Moderator: Missourian

Re: NATO gas cans

Postby sinjar » 25 Mar 2013 17:14

Nice finds low-key! I haven't found any metal cans in my searching and scrounging but I did manage to get 3 of the tan plastic ones and two spouts for free. I regret selling my two brand new metal ones years ago.

Edit: abysmal spelling
sinjar

Postby Rich » 13 Apr 2013 07:04

One word of warning on the red metal blitz cans. The gasket is awful and so the caps leak. Now I will have to cut extra thick gaskets to replace/add to the current ones which are actually in good shape but not performing well.
Rich

Postby Rich » 02 Jun 2013 05:56

Harbor Freight now sells jerry cans albeit it with the CARB-approved gas caps.

Love this video on how to fix modern gas cans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lcnwdIYEfI
Rich

Postby Rich » 03 Nov 2013 18:25

Rich wrote:One word of warning on the red metal blitz cans. The gasket is awful and so the caps leak. Now I will have to cut extra thick gaskets to replace/add to the current ones which are actually in good shape but not performing well.

Leak is actually from the rolled edges on the bottom of the can. In short, don't buy these cans. Look instead for the welded seam that goes around the can from top to bottom. Since I can't truthfully sell them I'm going to order some of this:
Red Kote fuel tank sealant (POR-15 also makes a version)

I think that will seal that bottom corner good enough for me to continue using it. I have at least two cans leaking right now.
Rich

Postby Rich » 01 Nov 2014 11:35

I sealed one and it seems like it is holding so I've emptied out the rest (busy grass-mowing and tilling this summer) and getting ready to seal the rest. Will let you know how this holds.

Other problem with some of my cans is the lack of gaskets... I've ordered some material to try and make my own to replace the old, cracked ones.
Rich

Postby cactus_jack » 08 Dec 2014 04:31

I have the older 5 gal. jerry cans, 5 of them, and I need the rubber gaskets for the caps.
Great cans, a couple of them are older than me, and I'm 45. Betcha a plastic can won't last that long!

A little lesson for ya- get an electric fuel pump. 12VDC, mine's a Carter fuel pump, designed for a heavy truck. Get hose that fit's it, a 20" stainless steel tube and a fuel filter. Put it together and you can pump out of any fuel can without lifting. Even a barrel, if need be.

I use that for my jerry cans, as I always keep two in the back of my truck. It may not be quicker, but it's cleaner and easier.
I'll add pics of it later.
The present moment is all you can control, not what happened in the past. Although you cannot turn back the clock on setbacks, mistakes and disappointments, your past does not have to define you.
cactus_jack

Postby Rich » 25 Dec 2014 17:38

Rich wrote:I sealed one and it seems like it is holding so I've emptied out the rest (busy grass-mowing and tilling this summer) and getting ready to seal the rest. Will let you know how this holds.

Other problem with some of my cans is the lack of gaskets... I've ordered some material to try and make my own to replace the old, cracked ones.

I ordered some material and it worked pretty well:
1/4" nitrile sheet

I drilled the holes using a hole saw and then used a razor blade to do the edges.
Rich

Postby cactus_jack » 21 Aug 2016 22:07

Any leads on replacing the gaskets?
The present moment is all you can control, not what happened in the past. Although you cannot turn back the clock on setbacks, mistakes and disappointments, your past does not have to define you.
cactus_jack

Postby kmussack » 22 Aug 2016 02:10

FWIW, I've used Blitz cans for several years with zero problems.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Rich » 04 Sep 2016 16:18

cactus_jack wrote:Any leads on replacing the gaskets?

The nitrile was a bit thick but it worked. If you were going to follow my route, I'd recommend 3/16" sheet of nitrile.
Rich

Previous

Return to BoV