Solid (airless) bicycle tires

Bug Out Vehicles - what goes in them and how to employ them

Moderator: Missourian

Solid (airless) bicycle tires

Postby Rich » 02 Oct 2016 16:46

Anyone with experience using these? I just ordered a set for my son. We are rebuilding a free huffy bike that needs new tires and tubes, derailer cables, etc. The reviews all say the ride is rougher and harder to pedal but I get so tired of replacing tubes... particularly on rides!

Bell Solid Tube NoMorFlat Bicycle Inner Tire Tube
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOCA44/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They've been around a long time so this is not a new product. I plan on testing it myself so I'll report back on the experience.
Rich

Re: Solid (airless) bicycle tires

Postby Rich » 05 Nov 2016 06:52

They are a beast to install. 2 hours on the first rim and 1 hour on the second. I only got that far when my oldest picked up the directions and pointed out some things that I was ignoring... Here was my final method:
1. Get old tire/tube off and new tire on with only one bead on the rim
2. Fit solid tube into the tire, using zip ties as necessary
3. Use a tire changing spoon to get the solid tube mostly onto the rim, again using more zip ties
4. Place a screwdriver into the hole where the valve used to be. This is your starting point. Now use the spoon and 2 additional spoons/flat head screwdrivers to slowly walk the bead onto the rim. It will be a bear, will scratch the rim, and you can only move about 4-5" at a time but it will work.

The tires looked a bit out-of-round when I was done. I'm going to run them a while and then adjust spokes if necessary. It took a lot of force to seat the tire. Also, the reviews were all very specific about which tire would actually work with the tubes...

However, the ride quality is not bad. They are heavier and therefore require a bit more pedal but I think that is a welcome tradeoff to never have to worry about flats. I'm ordering a second set for the next bike to undergo the conversion. In a grid down scenario there will be a lot of broken glass with no time to stop for repairs much less look for additional tubes. Now you can also go through thorns without worries.
Rich

Re: Solid (airless) bicycle tires

Postby Rich » 29 May 2017 17:43

eBay has them for 24" and it looks like the tube and tire are one and the same. I may try them within the next month. Will be for my daughter who doesn't want to ride the 26" bikes like the rest of us.
Rich

Return to BoV