Resurrecting a 1980s dump truck

Bug Out Vehicles - what goes in them and how to employ them

Moderator: Missourian

Resurrecting a 1980s dump truck

Postby Rich » 28 Jan 2017 17:35

I have a friend who is far more gifted at working on vehicles than I am. He decided to buy a junked 1980s dump truck and bring it back to life at my place.

He rebuilt the carb and put a new fuel pump and cleaned out the fuel tank and drove it to my house. Since here we've pulled the tires and front hubs and today I changed the oil, coolant, brake fluid, and figured out the alternator is bad. Oh, and I had my kids clean out the back since it was full of junk when it arrived. The plan is for me to work on it in exchange for using it to haul gravel that I desperately need for my driveway.

If it were my money I think I would have looked for a diesel but it's still been a fun project.
Rich

Re: Resurrecting a 1980s dump truck

Postby Joe » 29 Jan 2017 07:53

I considered buying an old smallish/medium sized dump truck and going into part time business plus using it here
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby whls4legs » 29 Jan 2017 08:34

We had kicked around the same idea with bush hogging and custom tilling to monitize equipment just sitting. The insurance needed to protect us was prohibitive. So we just do freebies for neighbors for fuel. Probably the better way.

Dump trucks are very handy.
whls4legs

Postby Rich » 29 Jan 2017 11:50

He put antique plates on it. Some states allow you to run 'Farm Use' tags.

I'm glad I'm not buying insurance for it...

If he passes it around our network of friends it will get many new parts donated into it.
Rich

Return to BoV