JUST NOODLING......

Gadgets and Methods

JUST NOODLING......

Postby kmussack » 07 Jul 2017 13:35

In the event of a “long emergency” resulting in a break down in social order it may become necessary to secure your community, neighborhood or property against criminal intrusion or the unwanted influx of refugees.
For example let’s look at a small rural crossroads community of approximately 250 people.

For the purpose of this exercise we’ll employ the METT-TC mnemonic to help us analyze the situation and prioritize our planning.
METT-TC stands for Mission, Enemy, Terrain & Weather, Troops, Time Available and Civilian Considerations.

The Mission is pretty straightforward; Interdict criminal intrusion into the community and limit the influx of refugees to family members of residents and selected others.

At least initially threats (Enemy) can be expected to be limited to individual bad actors and small groups of the same.
There is no expectation that the community will have to resist an organized effort or the civil authorities.

The Terrain is rolling low hills with fields and woodlots.
Except during periods of heavy rain or snow most fields are trafficable by wheeled vehicles.
This small village lies at the intersection of two (A4) rural hard surfaced roads.
Along the East/West road 5.5 miles to the East is a city (pop. 13,000) and 10.5 miles to the West is a city (pop. 10,000).
Along the North/South road there are no population centers.

Because of the Humid Continental Climate and the latitude seasonal fluctuations in Weather ranging from arctic to subtropical can be experienced.
The season during which operations are conducted will directly affect the plan.

Troops (selected residents) will come from the local population of approximately 250-people.
Once the too old, too young, disabled and unwilling are winnowed out it should be possible to muster approximately 40-people.
Their level of training, fitness, experience and motivation will vary widely. In light of these facts things must be kept simple.

There is simply no way to know how much Time will be available to execute any plan to secure the community.
However it is conceivable that if a general breakdown of order were to occur it would be after several weeks into a long emergency.
Only after it becomes obvious to the general population that some kind of action must be taken to secure their homes and families will they be willing to entertain any plan or take action.
It will be important to have done some preliminary planning and procurement to which context can be added to make it relevant to the actual situation.

The Civilian Considerations are of great importance.
The rights of the individual residents must be respected and protected.
Their participation and contributions must always be voluntary and never coerced.
This will call for the application of diplomacy and tact at every level.

Not included in the military mnemonic is Leadership.
In a civilian context it will be critically important that some kind of emergency organizational structure be established and that the leadership is considered legitimate by the community.
To this end, organization and leadership could be overlaid onto an existing format such as the community volunteer fire department.

Let’s take a look at the geography involved, here’s the Big Picture;

Here’s a little closer look;

This community lies along a secondary avenue connecting the two neighboring cities.
The primary route is a few miles south of the village and carries most of the traffic.
How does the community control access without stopping travel between the two neighboring cities?
The answer is by detouring traffic.
A simple, passive measure of placing official looking highway markers showing a detour (limiting passage to local traffic only) should divert, without incident most of the through traffic.
A minor inconvenience yes, but one everyone has grown accustomed to.

Placing of saw-horse barriers and signage at intersections that allow diversion without stopping or turning around should keep most traffic outside the one-mile security radius that represents the community’s outermost perimeter.
Between this passive perimeter and the inner active perimeter will be several hundred meters over which Escalation of Force (EOF) procedures can be applied.

Inside the outermost perimeter and out of sight of the outer perimeter detour signs will be the actual vehicle barriers/check points.
These barriers will define the inner security perimeter.
A slalom/chicane arrangement of New Jersey Barriers and a moveable gate incorporating a spike strip with the flanks supplemented with triple concertina fencing should prove adequate.
However these barriers as well as the zone forward of them must be watched/manned 24/7/365.
Any obstacle not covered by observation and fire is nothing more than a temporary inconvenience.

All told this plan will require a minimum of five manned posts for the example village.

Suddenly the manpower issue begins to come into focus. Forty people are simply too few to man the checkpoints and provide a reserve.

(5 posts)x(2 people/post/shift)= 10 people/shift
Working 2-hours on and 4-hours off it will require 4 shifts per day = 40 people

No reserve/ No QRF

Ideas?
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: JUST NOODLING......

Postby Kolt » 07 Jul 2017 14:31

I'm not sure what you mean by long emergency, but if it does result in the breakdown of social order, I'll assume it is an extended one of at minimum many months with no 'solution' in the near future.

With that said, it is only a matter of time before the passive 'suggestions' to keep people away no longer have their intended deterrent.

I'm also assuming, maybe wrongfully so, that you are only attempting to keep vehicular traffic out since you are focused on roads. With this long term 'event', how many vehicles are expected to still be used and for what duration? If you are only concerned with vehicles, once fuel runs out/low, they may not be an issue any more.

I'm also assuming you are focused on non-local traffic/personnel. This brings us to and us/them situation (civil considerations), but that is what it is.

Are you equally concerned with foot traffic? If so, 40 pax isn't going to cut it, at least not the way you have it broken down for the roads. It is hard to tell from your maps, so I'll ask what the terrain is like as far as elevation. Is there high ground for observation? If not and the terrain is flat, can something like a tower be constructed? High ground and a few observers with binos/thermals along with comms to a mobile QRF may be an idea. The observers would tell the QRF which direction the 'visitors' were coming from.

I like your idea of a detour, but that in and of itself is just a suggestion.

You may want to give the traffic (vehicular or foot) a reason not to travel a particular route and in doing so convince them to take an alternative.

Maybe signs directing them to these larger/more populated cities (on your map anyway) stating that they have available resources (food, water, med, etc.) That way, at least they might have a reason for taking the route you want them to and avoiding the crossroad village.

If you were really concerned about this at the start of said event and 'knew' it was going to be long term, you may want to consider blowing the roads. This is completely illegal of course, but would have a potential desired effect for the people residing in the village. It still would not prevent the eventual foot traffic once fuel supplies ran out.

It is an interesting problem set.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby Ekiwinox » 07 Jul 2017 15:44

Passersby on both the North/South and the East/West highway systems are greeted with huge billboards advertising the spiciest shops in my state capital. On the Pennsylvania/Ohio line I think I saw an aged wooden hand painted in red paint sign that said something like Girls Girls Girls (arrow).

Some distance before the intersection a regular town road sign that advises Hanford Nuclear Storage Facility 6 Miles straight. Include an old, rusted radiation sign if you don't think it would be too over the top. Road barriers if used should be old beat up Olive Drab with stenciled lettering. A few beat up shot up sand bags leaking sand. Good location for any old road kill and burned out cars.

In the winter a sign that says Deer Run Hot Springs 6 Miles left. In the summer Deer Run Water Falls 6 Miles left. Not everybody can read. To the left I would put a sign that they can read if they walk there a little bit. It should be an advertisement that includes a picture of a deer in front of a waterfall. Maybe plant some shade trees to the left.

You might need to start a drone club in town. Then using aged wood put a platform for them to land in and rest.

Adjustment. Have you heard of faux concrete. Maybe put a row of heavy cement two by three blocks. Maybe leave just enough space to get your car in. 40 feet down the road put more concrete blocks with one being faux concrete that you can lift and move to get by. Saw horses are just another word for already cut firewood. After the first person has a little fire there should be just enough left to give just the look you want.

We have not used sound yet. Perhaps if sound is coming from one direction it will attract or repel. Maybe if they cross a certain area they can hear an unpleasant noise that would make them leave the area. Or an attractant noise can be the other direction. Chopping wood, baseball game, far away church choir. Keep the bread crumbs going. The hugest bra from the salvation army should do the trick. A fishing bobber. A length of tangled line with a hook still on it. A long fishing pole sized branch. They are going to be more and more convinced there is water left.
Ekiwinox

Postby Joe » 07 Jul 2017 19:34

Instead of saw horse detours with small guard forces, crater all roads but one. Back/track hoes will work. So will picks and shovels. Add felled trees, wire, ditching and signage which says words to the effect of: you will be killed without warning if you proceed past this point. Post a sniper in overwatch until there are about 3 or four bloated bodies of those who tried your "bluff"

If you come here we will feed you to our dogs. Just pass on by and live.

Detour?
I got yer detour right here....
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby kmussack » 08 Jul 2017 07:08

I've actually set and blown a deliberate road crater.
It took a squad several hours and consumed a lot of demo.
Fun but not really a practical solution.

None of the avenues of approach have sufficient road side trees to create an effective abatis, so that's not among the barrier options.
For those in the audience unfamiliar with an abatis; it's an obstacle consisting of felled trees.

I'd hope one could avoid going all medieval too early.
Of course nothing says "Stay Out" like a half dozen polled heads.
That remains an option but not an attractive one.

An effective barrier plan depends upon; sufficient lead time, lots of physical labor and materials but in the end after the barriers are in place it's all about man-power.

Any obstacle not covered by observation and fire is nothing more than a temporary inconvenience.

This community could be infiltrated on foot after dark with minimal effort.
I suppose roving patrols, LPs/OPs equipped with thermal imaging technology and remote sensors would help but all this still requires manpower.
(Manpower with 11B skill sets...)
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Joe » 08 Jul 2017 11:43

Triple Nickle Forty - one of the few demo formulas I still remember

And let's not forget: P for "plenty"
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby whls4legs » 08 Jul 2017 12:25

Quite a swing of the needle from 'official' looking saw horses to, "let's build a fence from poofy bodies". Would all work in the right circumstance, I suppose. Very "Lord of the Flies".

Being rural, roads are less a problem. We have one, it's already terrible, it's been nowhere and goes to a small town. We have some ancient monster white oaks we'll lay across it, and a backhoe to make it worse, if that's possible. I'll gouge it up at the metal culverts that already cross it. Easy to start where it's already been dug once, and the culverts were there for a reason. So the terrain on either side is already dicey. Multiplier. But I just don't see normal vehicle traffic a problem. This is 4 wheeler, horse, biped, country.

The problem wanting solved is the massive amount of surrounding area that needs monitored for foot traffic. In kmussacks' example town you may be able to put together 40 'scrappers' and still come up short, most groups have 6 or 8, on a good day. We have 2.5 miles of perimiter. All the solutions come down to manpower and/or money, the tech answers are out of the question financially for us hayseeds. And it ain't going to work when the power punts anyway. We considered dozing up tall tree/brush piles in some critical areas, to cover areas between natural deterrents, but decided they would eventually become something to be lit on fire and become a liability in a scuffle.

Even a small 'patch' of a few acres inside the overall property will prove difficult to defend from a semi-organized group of 'hunters'.

Can always order up the steel, old tires and gravel trucks. Fire Base 'Whls'. Back to the tall thick walls of our ancestors.
whls4legs

Return to Surveillance and Security