500 gallon under ground propane tank

Power, Heat, Water

500 gallon under ground propane tank

Postby mosby's men » 12 Aug 2017 12:20

2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Re: 500 gallon under ground propane tank

Postby Joe » 14 Aug 2017 17:42

Very cool but the comments were troubling
I think I will install berms around mine
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby kmussack » 14 Aug 2017 20:35

Last edited by kmussack on 14 Aug 2017 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 14 Aug 2017 20:37

Joe wrote:Very cool but the comments were troubling
I think I will install berms around mine

My thoughts exactly.
I was thinking New Jersey Barriers or Sandbag revetment with a pavilion roof.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 05 Sep 2017 08:10

A large capacity propane tank, no mater how it's installed and protected, still means that a vendor will have to come onto your property periodically to fill it.
This might present an OPSEC issue.

The benefits of multiple smaller capacity tanks include; you can take them to be filled (obviating the OPSEC issue) and the compromise of one tank doesn't jeopardize your entire stock of fuel.

Just some random thoughts on a rainy Tuesday.
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 05 Sep 2017 08:33

Big propane tanks used to supply homes are called ASME tanks;;
• No Re-certification Period
• Thicker Steel
• Heavier than a DOT Tank of the same capacity
• Designed for Stationary Installation. Not Designed to be moved when full
• Design & Standards Governed by American Society of Engineers. (ASME)

Little propane tanks like those we use to fuel our gas grills are called DOT tanks:
• Re-certification Periods are 12 Years after Manufacturing, then every 5 Years*
• Designed for Portable Applications
• Design & Standards Governed by Department of Transportation (DOT)

*Hydrostatic testing requirements are changing…..shorter periods. The propane industry is appealing the changes.
kmussack

Postby Joe » 07 Sep 2017 05:55

Where I lived in KS everyone was on propane. It was a given.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby kmussack » 07 Sep 2017 07:46

We have a 16kw whole house generator fueled by natural gas. At 100% (full) load it will consume 240 cubic feet of NG per hour. (At current prices; $3.83/hour or $92.04/day.)

We’ve plumbed it in such a way that it can be fed by an alternative fuel source, LP (Propane) gas. At 100% (full) load this generator will consume 2.8 gallons per hour. (At current prices: $6.69/hr. or $160.61/day)
Obviously, it is in one’s financial interest to reduce electricity consumption when on generator power. If it’s an true TEOTWAWKI situation you’ll still want to reduce your consumption to make your fuel last.

In the event of a prolonged outage, our plan is to run the gen-set for one hour every three hours to maintain refrigeration thereby providing essential electricity for more than a month before fuel exhaustion.

A 500-gallon Propane tank can cost anywhere between $800 and $2,500. Additionally site preparation and plumbing will cost several hundred dollars. Due to budgetary reasons this task is on our B-List. It'll get done, just not in FY-17.
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 07 Sep 2017 15:13

Like water and electricity, natural gas may cease to flow shortly after a catastrophic event.

Our 500 gal tanks cost us nothing as long as we top them off yearly. As at HPA, everyone in these parts are propane junkies. They dot the landscape, and can be had used in good shape for peanuts. I prefer to allow the supplier the privilege of caring for it. If the world goes to hell, possession will become moot, and I'll have full, (nearly, they only fill to 80% for 'safety/expansion). tanks.

One tank is dedicated to a Viking, (yes, really), rangetop. 8 position, 4 outboard burners and griddle center. Very versatile, and a necessity for feeding multiples. Under normal use, including canning, (we also can on the wood stove, but it sucks), consumes 36 gal/yr. With frugal use, 12 yrs. This one is also stubbed off in a garage along the way for a couple Craigslist gas stoves so Ms will have a working oven.

We have a dozen or so of the small 'portable' cans. Although I would rather not hump one too far. Nor do I want one in my vehicle if things were to get sporty. They're for grills, griddle, counter top burner, torch, (absolute best use, most fun, least efficient, propane tool ever).

And a few cases of the little green ones cause I was told to get them, and they work with Bernzomatic and Mr. Heaters.

Here, whole house gen use would be limited to 2hrs every other day, or less, for critical uses like a warm shower, or to back up solar on a string of cloudy days, greatly stretching the golden juice.

Still, a gen is just a dimly lit bridge to eventual darkness.

Burying or otherwise shielding your tanks would draw undue attention from visiting neighbors and service dude, generate unneeded conversation at the propane company, and quickly become breakfast talk at the locals morning hangout, (every small town has coffee/gossip central. I've been known to attend myself). I'll have to put that thought on a back burner, as I don't see a tactical disadvantage to appearing and acting appropriate to the area.
whls4legs

Return to Off the Grid