Annual Gen-Set Refresh

Power, Heat, Water

Annual Gen-Set Refresh

Postby kmussack » 24 Apr 2016 13:56

Today I put up 30-gallons of new gas with Sta-Bil in the back-up/back-up generator.
We keep everything (gas, filler funnels, extension cords, screw driver, etc.) in one barn cart ready to roll out in the event that it's needed.
I also ran the generator and filled the tires on the barn cart.
Then I returned the cart to it's standby location.
Last edited by kmussack on 08 Jul 2017 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: Annual Gen-Set Refresh

Postby Ekiwinox » 24 Apr 2016 22:27

You certainly get the layers of the onion concept. Back ups for back ups. That is the way to do it.

What made us be the forum you chose to bless with your really clear and close up pictures of way cool stuff and great posts? There are probably lots of crappy preparedness forums to choose from and some good ones. Maybe a lot of good ones now a days. For some reason you knew that we here would appreciate and understand your erudite posts. For me I am here because I followed the posts I liked to here. The logical, OK boring, subjects, but maybe those are the ones we need to know the most about so they are the most interesting for me and us here, thus the Rambo factor is gone here, I'm pretty sure Rambo posts somewhere else, after reading facebook on other than preparedness topics I am interested in, I think here gets the most quality, sturdy, factual, practical, useable information per word read verses other places. But then again I liked here a lot so I have not been out in the big survival world a lot. You probably looked around and as in all of the details of your other projects made an informed and educated decision. What would you say were the things we got right? The Malcom Baldridge criteria we meet the others do not. The ISO 9001 all about everything we do the others majorly skip. That is why I am here. I suspect that is why you are here too. You are a discerning poster. You could have posted anywhere and been welcome. You are appreciated more here. Why us? :-) For starters the other sites would have never have bothered asking you this question. Other sites would not have noticed maybe as much.
Last edited by Ekiwinox on 25 Apr 2016 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby Ekiwinox » 24 Apr 2016 22:39

What did you do with the old fuel?
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 25 Apr 2016 04:26

I chose to come here after viewing a bunch of PJF's videos.
I like the no-nonsense approach.

The old fuel went in my truck, my wife's car and my son's truck.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Rich » 12 Aug 2016 18:31

I talk 'ethanol-free' to anyone that will listen...

In 2010 I had 2 riding mowers stop running due to clogged carbs. As I didn't have time/knowledge to repair I spent around $700 paying a local shop to get them running (in short I got ripped off...). After that I found a gas station on the way to church that sells ethanol-free. Since then I store about 40 gallons at a time (with Sta-Bil added in as well) and only run that in my mowers, weed-eaters, chainsaws, etc. Have had zero problems since that time and I burn gas that is up to 1 year old now as it takes me that long to burn 40 gallons. Yes it is more expensive by about $0.30 a gallon but it is worth it.

If you do a search, some gas station or airport local to you will probably have it.
Rich

Postby kmussack » 08 Jul 2017 10:50

Well, it's that time again.

Some aspects of preparedness require cyclical attention. Our gas powered 2.5kw Honda Generator kit is just such a case. Annually the 30-gallons of fuel stored with the kit must be refreshed and the generator is started and tested. We also take time to check the pressure in the tires of the barn cart.

We store our fuel in 5-gallon steel "Gerry Cans" made by Blitz. Sadly these cans are no longer available, the manufacturer having fallen victim to our litigious society and predatory safety Nazis.

The old fuel is transferred into our vehicles and new fuel is mixed with Stabil fuel treatment.

Our generator kit consists of the following components;
The Barn Cart, used to contain and transport the kit in total.

From left to right, back row; six 5-gallon cans of treated fuel, 2.5kw Honda Generator
Stabil fuel treatment, bypass funnel for vehicles, screw driver, pour spout, high security cable and lock.
Heavy gauge extension cords are stored elsewhere.

The sides of the Barn Cart fold down to allow easy loading.

After loading the mesh sides of the Barn Cart can be locked in the up position to secure the load during transport.

After the annual service the kit is rolled back to its ready place.
kmussack

Postby Joe » 08 Jul 2017 11:39

Were you of a mind, you have an excellent "prepper book" in you...
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby Kolt » 08 Jul 2017 14:32

Joe wrote:Were you of a mind, you have an excellent "prepper book" in you...

I second that. You're always a wealth of knowledge.

You could probably compile many of your postings here into a book.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby kmussack » 09 Jul 2017 01:57

I'm flattered, thank you both.
Perhaps once I retire I'll have time.
I should research the cost of vanity publication.
kmussack

Postby Ekiwinox » 09 Jul 2017 10:12

Ekiwinox

Next

Return to Off the Grid