Off grid at last!

Power, Heat, Water

Re: Off grid at last!

Postby kmussack » 16 Dec 2016 03:07

http://greywateraction.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Effect-of-Roof-Material-on-Water-Quality-for-Rainwater-Harvesting-Systems.pdf

Employ a first flush diverter and avoid chlorination of water collected from asphalt and you'll be ok.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby eossipov » 16 Dec 2016 12:54

kmussack wrote:http://greywateraction.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Effect-of-Roof-Material-on-Water-Quality-for-Rainwater-Harvesting-Systems.pdf

Employ a first flush diverter and avoid chlorination of water collected from asphalt and you'll be ok.

Kmussack: you seem to have a wealth of information always at your fingertips, do you by chance have a site with this info cataloged and
searchable?

sure would be a nice resource.
I try and subscribe to Hanlon's Razor as a first round indicator, but sometimes there is more, the more is what keeps me up at night.
eossipov

Postby kmussack » 17 Dec 2016 04:59

eossipov wrote:Kmussack: you seem to have a wealth of information always at your fingertips, do you by chance have a site with this info cataloged and
searchable?

sure would be a nice resource.

Sadly, no. I have been researching this topic for about a year now and have amassed a small library on the subject. I am not an expert but as a hobbyist I've learned a lot about it.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby NorthernExplorer » 17 Dec 2016 17:13

Very good read.

Im partial to building with tin because of its durability but its a good to know that a person could use shingles too.

Tin is a little easier to shovel 4' of snow from!

I wonder if shingles can be melted down and re-used for something?
All my chicken coupes have all been built with recycled tin.
NorthernExplorer

Postby tatergator » 17 Dec 2016 21:50

Northern Explorer here ya go. I found it in 2 seconds on Google. :P Joe gave all the key words for ya. :o

http://greywateraction.org/wp-content/u ... ystems.pdf
"Behavior is interpreted through personal perspectives." ~ Bobby Hoffman, PhD
tatergator

Postby Goldken51 » 08 Apr 2017 18:54

Ok, I finally got a satellite internet system with more gigs than the costly wifi device from the big "V".
To start with we have been very busy trying to get things setup so it will work for us. As for the water tank freezing? Nah! It did freeze in the pipe for several hours, it thawed out after a few hours though. We need to get another water tank for the garden, as it is about 120 yards down the hill from us in a more open area. We made the size of the garden 60 ft x 75 ft. It took a couple of days to till it. I'm sure glad I decided to buy a tiller rather than rent one for the 2 days at $60+ dollars a day. And for giving the manager at the nearest Home Depot a return phone call to answer some questions about a bad review I did in Dec. He gave me $25 dollars off of my purchase that day while I was there. I used it for the $300 dollar tiller and bought a few other items we needed. I also used my Vet discount on the total order. I saved a bit over $50 dollars that day off of $325.
So far we have planted 25lbs. of potatoes, some onions, and a lot of lettuce, along with a peach, and apple tree. We have another 10 to 15 different types of plants we will be growing also. I will try to answer some of you're questions in another post.

Ken
Goldken51

Postby Goldken51 » 08 Apr 2017 19:17

NorthernExplorer wrote:Thats pretty awesome!
Always nice to hear people taking action to get things done.

I wouldnt mind seeing a Cali mountain view.........how about some pics? :lol:

We moved from the gun fearing state to Arizona. I will miss my mountains though. I have a few around here, and some pics of some we drove through on our way to Phoenix one time. I just have no idea of how to add them here.

Ken
Goldken51

Previous

Return to Off the Grid